Jaswant Singh`s condition still critical, PM Narendra Modi visits him in hospital
Zee Media Bureau
New Delhi: Former BJP leader Jaswant Singh, who slipped into coma after suffering a head injury at his residence, is said to be still critical, as per reports on Saturday.
Singh, who was admitted to the Intensive Care Unit of the Army`s Research and Referral hospital in Delhi, is on life support systems and under constant monitoring by a team of neurosurgeons and critical care providers.
Prime minister Narendra Modi went to R&R hospital today to check about his health.
The PM visited former Union Minister Shri Jaswant Singh. He met his family and enquired about his health pic.twitter.com/YY7uSerutO
— PMO India (@PMOIndia) August 9, 2014
Former prime minister Manmohan Singh too was among those who paid the veteran leader a visit.
Besides him, the US Defence Secretary Chuck Hagel, who is on three-day visit to India, said that Jaswant Singh transformed India-US relations and is one of India`s foremost soldier statesmen.
Yesterday, Prime Minister Narendra Modi also spoke to his family members on phone shortly after he was apprised about Singh`s condition.
NCP chief Sharad Pawar, his daughter Supriya Sule, Union Home Minister Rajnath Singh and Samajwadi Party chief Mulayam Singh Yadav also reportedly visited the hospital to check about his health.
Also, Congress vice president Rahul Gandhi visited the hospital to see Singh.
According to initial reports, the former Union Minister was found unconscious around 11 pm at his residence here last night. The 76-year-old ex-BJP leader is believed to have fallen at his residence last night and sustained severe injuries in the head.
He was then rushed to the R&R Army Hospital for treatment.
The doctors at the R&R hospital have conducted an operation on him in the wee hours today to stop internal bleeding in the head. He is said to be in a critical condition.
A senior doctor at the hospital confirmed that Singh was operated upon for head injury and he is still unconscious. “Examination at the hospital showed him to be in coma, with signs of ‘raised intracranial tension and a haematoma scalp’. Urgent CT scan of the head showed ‘an acute subdural haematoma with mass effect, a midline shift and contusion of the brain substance’. A lifesaving ‘decompressive hemicraniectomy’ was done by the doctors," said the medical bulletin detailing his condition.
(With Agency inputs)
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Discussion over BJP's enormous victory in Maharashtra civic polls
- UP polls: Top 5 highlights of PM Modi's speech in Bahraich
- NASA discovers seven Earth-like planets orbiting a single star
- Is Samajwadi Party-Congress alliance just a compulsion for Akhilesh Yadav?
- BMC election results 2017: Shiv Sena ahead as single largest party
- Reliance Jio Vs Airtel free data plan: A comparison
- BMC election 2017 results: As it happened
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results 2017: As it happened on Thursday
- WATCH: When Matthew Renshaw left everybody surprised by 'retiring ill' on Day 1 of India-England Test
- World's heaviest woman loses 50 kilos in just 12 days