Jat stir continues, rail services badly affected
Chandigarh: Jats demanding quota in
government jobs occupied 14 railway tracks in Haryana on Wednesday as
part of their agitation badly disrupting train services in the
"Our stir will continue peacefully till our demand is
met," Hawa Singh Sangwan, Haryana state president of All India
Jat Arakshan Sangharsh Samiti, the body spearheading the
"We have not received any communication from anybody for
the talks," he said.
Jats are also contemplating to block important roads in
the state in the days ahead to press for their demand, he
The Centre had earlier held a round of talks with the Jats
in a bid to put an end to the agitation which has entered its
third week affecting normal life at many places.
Train services on 14 rail lines in Haryana, including
Delhi-Ludhiana-Jind, Narwana-Kurukshetra, Rohtak-Panipat,
Rewari-Loharu, Loharu-Jaipur, Hisar-Jaipur, Bhiwani-Hisar,
Hisar-Bathinda, and Delhi-Jind-Ludhiana continued to
remain disrupted for yet another day today.
The ongoing fortnight-long stir by Jats has badly
affected rail traffic in northern India, forcing the Northern
Railways to cancel several trains, divert routes of some
With the disruption in the supply of coal, the Rajiv
Gandhi Thermal Power Plant, Khedar, Hisar has been closed.
At a meeting held at Kurukshetra recently, the
agitating Jats had threatened to block the Delhi-Ambala rail
route if their demand was not met by March 25.
They also threatened to cut off the national capital
from the rest of north India in the next phase of their stir
if their demand was not fulfilled by March 28.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indrani 'slow-poisoned' Sheena, wanted to portray Mikhail as 'mentally unstable'?
- People have no faith left in Modi government: Sonia Gandhi at Swabhiman rally
- Lashkar-e-Toiba plotting 26/11-style attack in India with the help of Pak Navy, ISI?
- Radhe Maa approached to be a part of Bigg Boss 9?
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, 'sex sites' planted as following
- Satire website publishes article on Osama bin Laden being alive and quotes Edward Snowden
- Indrani's former brother-in-law claims Sheena was Siddharth Das' daughter
- Sheena Bora murder case: 'Indrani Mukerjea's father thrashed her with belt'
- Sheena murder: Suitcase seized from Indrani, Peter's residence meant for disposing Mikhail's body?
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, sex sites planted as 'following'