Jat stir keeps rail services disrupted
New Delhi: Railways on Friday cancelled more
than 80 trains and announced further cancellation of 57
services on Saturday as the Jat agitation for reservation in
central jobs continued to disrupt train services in several
North Indian states.
The services of 41 trains were also short-terminated
as the agitators squatted on railway tracks at different
places in the region demanding quota in central government
The trains cancelled for the day included Kalka-New
Delhi-Kalka Shatabdi Express, New Delhi-Ajmer-New Delhi
Shatabdi Express, Ahmedabad-New Delhi-Ahmedabed Rajdhani
Express, Ahmedabad-Delhi Ashram Express, Jaipur-Chandigarh
Garib Rath Express among others.
According to a Northern Railway spokesperson,
cancellation of five pairs of trains has been extended till
March 27 to facilitate additional coal rake movement to power
plants in Haryana facing depleting coal stock.
The Jat agitation which has blocked
Shakurbasti-Bathinda line of Northern Railway has led to
diversion of traffic to Delhi-Ambala section, choking the
line and causing decreased supply of power house rakes besides
hampering food grain movement.
The agitation on Delhi-Bathinda section of Northern
Railway and on Bikaner and Jaipur Division of North Western
Railway has swelled railways losses to over Rs 100 crore,
railway officials said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is this for real: Ajinkya Rahane bizarre shot went for six, concerned Virat Kohli settles with smile — WATCH
- WATCH: Tom Latham takes IMPOSSIBLE catch to dismiss Faf du Plessis
- Azam Khan demands ban on cow slaughter across India, says Muslims should stop eating beef
- Asaduddin Owaisi asks Centre to clarify policy on buffalo meat export, Nirmala Sitharaman gives apt reply
- No ban on cow slaughter in three Northeast states if party comes to power next year: BJP