Jawans prepared to respond to ceasefire violations: Arun Jaitley
New Delhi/Chandigarh: In a strong message to Pakistan, Defence Minister Arun Jaitley on Monday asserted that Indian armed forces are fully prepared to respond to any ceasefire violation by it.
"Our jawans are fully prepared to respond to any ceasefire violations by Pakistan," the Defence Minister said in a Facebook post after his visit to border posts in Amritsar in Punjab.
In Amritsar for a day, he visited the Kasowal BN enclave in Dera Baba Nanak sector and interacted with Army and BSF jawans guarding the International Border.
His comments on ceasefire violations comes on a day when Pakistan troops resorted to heavy mortar shelling and fired with automatic weapons at 20 Border Out Posts and civilian areas along the International Border in Jammu sector, leaving a villager injured.
This is the 11th ceasefire violation by Pakistani troops along LoC and IB in Jammu region during the past 10 days and the 12th in August this year.
Against the backdrop of repeated ceasefire violations in recent weeks and strongly disapproving the invitation by Pakistan High Commissioner to India Abdul Basit to all the Kashmiri separatist leaders "for consultations" in Delhi, India today called off the Foreign Secretary-level talks in Islamabad slated for August 25.
An Army release in Chandigarh said the Defence Minister motivated the troops and announced incentives for those deployed on the forward posts.
Jaitley was accompanied by Army Chief Gen Dalbir Singh Suhag, Western Army Commander Lt Gen KJ Singh and 11 Corps Commander Lt General N P Singh Hira.
He also visited Headquarters of `Panther Division,` where he was given a "comprehensive briefing" on the overall dynamics of Western Sector, including operational preparedness, the release said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zakir Naik's 'IRF' converted many to Islam?
- Is Zakir Naik's foundation converted many to Islam for monetary benefits?
- Is Zakir Naik's foundation converted many to Islam for monetary benefits?- Part II
- Why Pakistan commits heinous crime in Balochistan and POK?
- Why Pakistan commits heinous crime in Balochistan and POK?- Part II
- LOL: Never ever say these annoying things to a tall person! – Watch video
- Max Landis writing 'Pepe Le Pew' movie!
- Demand to ban advertisements on fairness creams in RS
- Migaloo sighting alert! White humpback whale spotted off Australia's Byron Bay (See pic)
- 'Iron Lady' Irom Sharmila to end 16-year fast on August 9, contest elections in Manipur