Jaya announces welfare measures for Lankan Tamils
Chennai: Tamil Nadu Chief Minister Jayalalithaa on Saturday ordered extension of the government`s comprehensive health insurance scheme to Sri Lankan Tamil refugees and allocated Rs 25 crore for improving basic
facilities in the camps in the state where they are lodged.
She ordered extension of the scheme, presently available to
poor people of the state, as part of measures taken by her
government for the welfare of the Tamil refugees, an official
She also allocated Rs 4.33 crore for improving drinking
water supply and more than Rs 20.66 crore for repairing
houses, road works and for creation of library, ration shops
and sanitation facilities in the camps, it said.
The Chief Minister decided to grant a one-time grant of Rs
10,000 each to 416 women`s self help groups of the refugees,
setting apart Rs 41.60 lakhs.
Jayalalithaa has also ordered increase in the incentive
given to 1,000 students of the refugees families pursuing
higher studies which would cost the state exchequer Rs 20.98
lakh, the release said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- PM Modi calls meeting to review Indus Waters Treaty today
- Watch: Sushma Swaraj addresses the UN General Assembly
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB 4G mobile services at 1 GB price