Jaya announces welfare measures for Lankan Tamils
Chennai: Tamil Nadu Chief Minister Jayalalithaa on Saturday ordered extension of the government`s comprehensive health insurance scheme to Sri Lankan Tamil refugees and allocated Rs 25 crore for improving basic
facilities in the camps in the state where they are lodged.
She ordered extension of the scheme, presently available to
poor people of the state, as part of measures taken by her
government for the welfare of the Tamil refugees, an official
She also allocated Rs 4.33 crore for improving drinking
water supply and more than Rs 20.66 crore for repairing
houses, road works and for creation of library, ration shops
and sanitation facilities in the camps, it said.
The Chief Minister decided to grant a one-time grant of Rs
10,000 each to 416 women`s self help groups of the refugees,
setting apart Rs 41.60 lakhs.
Jayalalithaa has also ordered increase in the incentive
given to 1,000 students of the refugees families pursuing
higher studies which would cost the state exchequer Rs 20.98
lakh, the release said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- What Muslims think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad barred from flying after his assault on AI staffer
- Martyrs' Day: Nation remembers Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev and Rajguru for their sacrifice
- London terrorist attack leaves five dead, including police officer
- Do not put unnecessary pressure on police: PM Modi tells UP BJP MPs
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Unable to meet educational expenses, Muslim girl writes to PM Narendra Modi – Know what happened next
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Mulayam Singh Yadav's son Prateek, his daughter-in-law Aparna meet UP CM Yogi Adityanath - Know why