Jaya Bachchan files Rajya Sabha nomination
Lucknow: Actor-politician Jaya Bachchan on Saturday filed her nomination for Rajya Sabha as a Samajwadi Party candidate.
A former Rajya Sabha member, Jaya filed her nomination in the presence of Uttar Pradesh Chief Minister Akhilesh Yadav and other party MLAs.
Jaya was earlier elected to the Rajya Sabha in 2004 as SP nominee and completed her term in 2010. She, however, refused re-nomination.
She is the sixth Samajwadi Party nominee to file her nomination for the Upper House. Naresh Agarwal, Kiranmay Nanda, Darshan Singh Yadav, Brijbhushan Tiwari and Munawwar
Saleem had yesterday filed their nominations.
Samajwadi Party, which has a strength of 225 (with one Independent MLA Raghuraj Pratap Singh alias Raja Bhaiya) in the 403-member Uttar Pradesh Assembly, can send six members to the Rajya Sabha.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- DNA: Analysis of insensitivity shown by political leaders over rising poverty in India
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- China's NSG stand is neither fair nor transparent, says Defence Expert
- Bengaluru pips Silicon Valley to become world's most dynamic city
- Army orders modern helmets for jawans, can withstand bullets fired from short range
- WATCH: Dope-tainted Brock Lesnar causes carnage on return to WWE Raw ahead of Royal Rumble