Jaya Bachchan files Rajya Sabha nomination
Lucknow: Actor-politician Jaya Bachchan on Saturday filed her nomination for Rajya Sabha as a Samajwadi Party candidate.
A former Rajya Sabha member, Jaya filed her nomination in the presence of Uttar Pradesh Chief Minister Akhilesh Yadav and other party MLAs.
Jaya was earlier elected to the Rajya Sabha in 2004 as SP nominee and completed her term in 2010. She, however, refused re-nomination.
She is the sixth Samajwadi Party nominee to file her nomination for the Upper House. Naresh Agarwal, Kiranmay Nanda, Darshan Singh Yadav, Brijbhushan Tiwari and Munawwar
Saleem had yesterday filed their nominations.
Samajwadi Party, which has a strength of 225 (with one Independent MLA Raghuraj Pratap Singh alias Raja Bhaiya) in the 403-member Uttar Pradesh Assembly, can send six members to the Rajya Sabha.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Salman's controversial tweet on Yakub Memon a 'contempt of court'?
- Know the significance of Devshayani Ekadashi
- Lalu Prasad Yadav calls PM Modi ''Kans'', BJP ''Bharat Jalao Party''
- What's the motive behind politicising Yakub Memon's death penalty?
- Punjab: Terrorists in Army uniform attack police station in Gurdaspur
- Watch: Yuvraj Singh takes up Shoaib Malik's challenge, puts on his dancing shoes
- SC to resume hearing on Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's mercy plea on Tuesday
- Lalu Prasad Yadav arrested as RJD bandh cripples life in Bihar
- Exercise, healthy food prevent knee pain in adults with diabetes
- Politicos mourn death of former president APJ Abdul Kalam, hail him as 'Missile Man of India'