Jaya condemns US diplomat`s remarks; seeks apology
Chennai: The Tamil Nadu Government on Saturday
condemned the remarks of `dark and dirty` Tamilians by a US
diplomat with Chief Minister Jayalalithaa alleging it smacked
of racism and an affront to all Tamilians.
Demanding an apology from US Vice-Consul Maureen Chao who
had remarked that her "skin became dirty and dark like the
Tamilians" after a 72-hour train trip, Jayalalithaa said
the remark was `highly condemnable`
"This remark which smacks of racism is highly condemnable.
You will agree that this remark of the Vice Consul is an
affront to all Tamils," she said in a letter to Jennifer
McIntyre, Consul General, US Consulate, Chennai.
She urged McIntyre to impress upon Chao that she has to
withdraw this remark and also apologise for having made such a
comment on Tamils.
During a speech at the the SRM University yesterday, Chao
said "I was on a 24-hour train trip from Delhi to Orissa. But,
after 72 hours, the train still did not reach the
destination... and my skin became dirty and dark like the
Following her controversial remark, the US Consulate
termed it `inappropriate.` In a release it said "During the
speech Ms. Chao made an inappropriate comment. Ms. Chao deeply
regrets if her unfortunate remarks offended anyone, as that
was certainly not her intent".
The Consulate said the diplomat was describing "positive
memories from her own study abroad experiences in India 23
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sonakshi Sinha apologises to Sarabjit, accused in Tilak Nagar case
- Sheena Bora murder: Mikhail to be brought to Mumbai for questioning
- Sheena Bora murder: Here's how the whole plan unfolded
- Sheena Bora murder spread over various cities
- Sheena Bora murder: Transit remand for Sanjeev Khanna; to be presented in court
- Shocking update in Sheena Bora case: Indrani Mukerjea was sexually molested by her father?
- Indrani's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna confesses to police he was involved in Sheena's murder
- A peek into Indrani Mukerjea's past
- Women's hockey team seals Olympic spot after 36 years, creates history on Dhyan Chand's birthday
- Sheena Bora and Mikhail had different fathers?