Jaya dumps Amar, gets SP ticket for RS
Lucknow: In a clear pointer towards changing equations, the Samajwadi Party (SP) on Wednesday re-nominated actress-cum politician Jaya Bachchan for a Rajya Sabha seat from UP, a move that will further alienate friend-turned-foe Amar Singh.
The announcement of Bachchan`s nomination was made by Mulayam Singh`s son and chief of state unit of the party Akhilesh Yadav. The SP has also nominated Rasheed Masood for the upper house of Parliament.
"The Samajwadi Party parliamentary board had finalised the names of Jaya Bachchan and Rasheed Masood for nomination to the Rajya Sabha," Akhilesh Yadav stated in a statement issued here.
It also has brought to fore the split between the Jaya Bachchan and Amar Singh, whom she refers to as her brother. However, both the sides have, time and again, claimed that their personal equations have no bearing on their political affiliations.
Amar Singh had said: "Jaya Bachchan is free to choose the way she likes even though she remains like family to me."
Jaya had in the past sided with Amar Singh and said that Samajwadi Party chief Mulayam Singh was pressurized by powerful party leaders to expel her brother.
She even said that the decision to expel Amar could not have been party chief Mulayam Singh Yadav’s decision. Amar Singh was expelled because his views didn’t go down well with party members, she remarked while explaining reasons.
She even termed Amar Singh’s expulsion from the party as ‘unfortunate incident’.
But later – after Amar Singh finally exited the SP – she had started to distance herself from him and his political moves.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Five unmanned parachute-like objects spotted over Mumbai airport
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- Police registers case after parachute-like objects were spotted over Mumbai airport
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- One year of Modi govt: PM Modi addresses mega rally in Mathura Part-II
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- Check WBBSE (wbresults.nic.in) Class 12th Results: West Bengal Board (wbscvet.org) Higher Secondary Class XII Vocational Results to be declared today at 4 PM
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- Public rally on 100 days of AAP govt: As it happened
- CBSE Board 12th XII Results 2015: Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced today at 12 Noon
- Kejriwal lists AAP govt's achievements of 100 days, slams Centre's 'dictatorial attitude'
- Arvind Kejriwal's Aam Aadmi Party changes its logo