Jaya dumps Amar, gets SP ticket for RS
Lucknow: In a clear pointer towards changing equations, the Samajwadi Party (SP) on Wednesday re-nominated actress-cum politician Jaya Bachchan for a Rajya Sabha seat from UP, a move that will further alienate friend-turned-foe Amar Singh.
The announcement of Bachchan`s nomination was made by Mulayam Singh`s son and chief of state unit of the party Akhilesh Yadav. The SP has also nominated Rasheed Masood for the upper house of Parliament.
"The Samajwadi Party parliamentary board had finalised the names of Jaya Bachchan and Rasheed Masood for nomination to the Rajya Sabha," Akhilesh Yadav stated in a statement issued here.
It also has brought to fore the split between the Jaya Bachchan and Amar Singh, whom she refers to as her brother. However, both the sides have, time and again, claimed that their personal equations have no bearing on their political affiliations.
Amar Singh had said: "Jaya Bachchan is free to choose the way she likes even though she remains like family to me."
Jaya had in the past sided with Amar Singh and said that Samajwadi Party chief Mulayam Singh was pressurized by powerful party leaders to expel her brother.
She even said that the decision to expel Amar could not have been party chief Mulayam Singh Yadav’s decision. Amar Singh was expelled because his views didn’t go down well with party members, she remarked while explaining reasons.
She even termed Amar Singh’s expulsion from the party as ‘unfortunate incident’.
But later – after Amar Singh finally exited the SP – she had started to distance herself from him and his political moves.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to expand your existing business
- Entire Indian force can't defend Kashmir from terrorists, says Farooq Abdullah
- Prashant Bhushan questions Arvind Kejriwal on Lokpal through press conference
- UP: DM B Chandrakala participates in anti-riots drill in Bulandshahr
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Sheena Bora murder: Why did Indrani send servant to Kolkata to get illegal drugs?
- Women fit only to deliver children, gender equality un-islamic: Kerala Muslim leader
- Russian MP dies while ‘having sex’ inside car - Read
- Modi govt 'promoting Brahmanism' in the name of 'Hindu Rashtravad': Arundhati Roy
- Ban on Salman Rushdie's 'The Satanic Verses' by Rajiv Gandhi govt was a mistake: P Chidambaram