Jaya dumps Amar, gets SP ticket for RS
Lucknow: In a clear pointer towards changing equations, the Samajwadi Party (SP) on Wednesday re-nominated actress-cum politician Jaya Bachchan for a Rajya Sabha seat from UP, a move that will further alienate friend-turned-foe Amar Singh.
The announcement of Bachchan`s nomination was made by Mulayam Singh`s son and chief of state unit of the party Akhilesh Yadav. The SP has also nominated Rasheed Masood for the upper house of Parliament.
"The Samajwadi Party parliamentary board had finalised the names of Jaya Bachchan and Rasheed Masood for nomination to the Rajya Sabha," Akhilesh Yadav stated in a statement issued here.
It also has brought to fore the split between the Jaya Bachchan and Amar Singh, whom she refers to as her brother. However, both the sides have, time and again, claimed that their personal equations have no bearing on their political affiliations.
Amar Singh had said: "Jaya Bachchan is free to choose the way she likes even though she remains like family to me."
Jaya had in the past sided with Amar Singh and said that Samajwadi Party chief Mulayam Singh was pressurized by powerful party leaders to expel her brother.
She even said that the decision to expel Amar could not have been party chief Mulayam Singh Yadav’s decision. Amar Singh was expelled because his views didn’t go down well with party members, she remarked while explaining reasons.
She even termed Amar Singh’s expulsion from the party as ‘unfortunate incident’.
But later – after Amar Singh finally exited the SP – she had started to distance herself from him and his political moves.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- PM Modi calls meeting to review Indus Waters Treaty today
- Watch: Sushma Swaraj addresses the UN General Assembly
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB 4G mobile services at 1 GB price