Jaya Jaitly moves court to retain her passport
New Delhi: Former Samata Party President Jaya Jaitly, facing trial for allegedly taking Rs two lakh as bribe in December 2000 to recommend a fictitious defence deal to the Defence Ministry, today moved a Delhi court seeking permission to "retain" her passport.
The court sought the CBI`s response by July 12 on Jaitly`s plea to hold back her passport permanently.
The plea was made by Jaitly`s counsel, who appeared before Special CBI Judge Kanwaljeet Arora to submit her passport after her (Jaitly`s) return from Singapore, where she had gone for ten days to attend a panel debate on "Smith Women Leading Change: Asia 2012" as per the court`s permission.
In her application, she sought the release of her passport saying that she needed it every now and then to visit abroad to attend such panel discussion on various issues.
Jaitly`s counsel submitted that she is a social activist and had been granted such permissions earlier also and she never misused the relief.
The lawyer further said if she be allowed to retain her passport permanently, she will not seek any adjournment on account of her unavailability.
The counsel also said she will not leave India without prior information to the court.
Jaitly along with her erstwhile party colleague Gopal Pacherwal and retired Major General SP Murgai is facing trial for allegedly conspiring with each other for "accepting bribe" for obtaining supply order of defence equipment in favour of a private firm.
The case against Jaitly, Pacherwal and Murgai was lodged on the basis of a sting `Operation Westend` conducted by newsportal tehelka.Com in 2000, purportedly exposing alleged corruption in defence deals.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 24 dead after boat carrying 40 capsizes in river Ganga in Patna; many still missing
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Tourists flock to Manali as snowfall takes a short break
- Abhishek Bachchan reveals the moment when Aishwarya Rai said 'yes' to him
- India vs England, 1st ODI: As it happened...
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre