Jaya slams Lanka fact-finding tour over omission of oppn MPs
Chennai: As MPs belonging to DMK-led front
in Tamil Nadu visits Sri Lanka on a fact-finding mission,
AIADMK chief Jayalalithaa on Saturday flayed the tour over omission
of opposition members and raised doubts on whether the team
will get to see the "real" condition in Tamil refugee camps.
During its five-day tour, the 10-member delegation,
comprising MPs from DMK, Congress and Viduthalai Chiruthaigal
Katchi (VCK), will visit various camps and interact with the
Tamils displaced by the war against LTTE. They will also meet
top Sri Lankan leaders, including President Mahinda Rajapaksa.
"No member from any opposition party. No journalist. No
Human rights activists. No independent observers. Not a word
from the Prime Minister of India. Not even a murmur from the
External Affairs Minister or Union Home Minister... What sort
of an all-party delegation is this," Jayalalithaa said.
In a statement, she asked as to whom the delegation would
submit its report after its visit.
"Who has chosen members of this delegation and authorised
their travel? Will they get to see the real camps where the
Tamils are interned in abominable conditions," she asked.
Accusing DMK chief M Karunanidhi of maintaining "ominous"
silence during the last stages of the war between the Lankan
army and LTTE, she said the Chief Minister was now attempting
to portray himself as a "saviour of the Tamil race".
TNCC President K V Thangkabalu yesterday said the team on
its return would submit a report to Karunanidhi, who in turn,
would communicate to the Centre on measures to be taken for
the well-being of Sri Lankan Tamils.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Samajwadi Party-Congress alliance just a compulsion for Akhilesh Yadav?
- BMC election results 2017: Shiv Sena ahead as single largest party
- UP polls: When fans played spoilsport for SP star campaigner Dimple Yadav
- Have political parties diverted from development agenda in UP elections?
- Pakistan cancels licenses of weapons issued to Hafiz Saeed and his aides
- BMC election 2017 results LIVE: BJP win big with 81 seats, Shiv Sena bags 84; CM Fadnavis Maharashtra thanks Maharashtra voters, PM Modi
- How Kashmiris use children for 'meri jaan Pakistan' type 'freedom struggle' - WATCH
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results 2017 LIVE: BJP emerges as big winner in Mumbai, sweeps Pune, Amravati, Nagpur, Nashik
- Solapur Municipal Corporation Elections 2017: Shiv Sena wins, BJP runners-up
- Thane Municipal Corporation Elections 2017 Results LIVE: Counting underway; Shiv Sena way ahead of BJP, leading in 40 seats