Jayalalithaa attacks Home Ministry on NCTC
New Delhi: Rejecting the National Counter Terrorism Centre (NCTC) in its present form, Tamil Nadu Chief Minister J Jayalalithaa on Saturday blasted the Home Ministry, saying it was trying to "belittle" the state governments and treating them as "pawns on a chess board" instead of addressing "gaps and deficiencies" in counter terrorism capabilities.
Addressing Chief Ministers and Prime Minister Manmohan Singh, Jayalalithaa said the Home Ministry`s move to accumulate the counter-terrorism powers with the central agency "is preposterous and reveals total lack of understanding of ground realities".
She said the NCTC in its present format would only strengthen terrorists.
Saturday`s meeting of Chief Ministers on NCTC comes within three weeks of another meeting of theirs on internal security held on April 16, also in New Delhi.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: APJ Abdul Kalam's last journey, India bids a tearful adieu
- DNA : Justice delivered; India hangs 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon
- Exclusive interview with Usman Majid, MLA, J&K Congress
- Four Indians kidnapped in Libya; Islamic State hand suspected
- Parties should be united against terrorism, says Rajnath Singh
- Why did you choose Smriti Irani as HRD minister? Congress leader asks PM Narendra Modi
- Yakub Memon: The two men who lead police to 'House of Memons'
- Rajnath slams UPA for coining 'Hindu terrorists', Congress accuses BJP of playing politics on terror
- Watch video: The epic battle between 'Machli' tigress and a 14-foot-long crocodile!
- Cristiano Ronaldo great, but Lionel Messi is greatest: Xavi Hernandez