Jayalalithaa attacks Home Ministry on NCTC
New Delhi: Rejecting the National Counter Terrorism Centre (NCTC) in its present form, Tamil Nadu Chief Minister J Jayalalithaa on Saturday blasted the Home Ministry, saying it was trying to "belittle" the state governments and treating them as "pawns on a chess board" instead of addressing "gaps and deficiencies" in counter terrorism capabilities.
Addressing Chief Ministers and Prime Minister Manmohan Singh, Jayalalithaa said the Home Ministry`s move to accumulate the counter-terrorism powers with the central agency "is preposterous and reveals total lack of understanding of ground realities".
She said the NCTC in its present format would only strengthen terrorists.
Saturday`s meeting of Chief Ministers on NCTC comes within three weeks of another meeting of theirs on internal security held on April 16, also in New Delhi.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Heart-wrenching reality of Kashmiri pandits
- Proud to be an Indian, no plans to leave the country, says Aamir Khan
- DNA: Bengaluru's Mount Carmel college students show country's ideology to Rahul Gandhi
- Rahul Gandhi's embarrassment in front of Bengaluru college students
- DNA: Aamir Khan clarifies his love towards nation but sticks to previous statement
- Intolerance issue: Proud to be Indian, won't leave country, says Aamir Khan
- Watch: Chicago cop shoots a 17-year-old black man 16 times
- WATCH: Rahul Gandhi asks 'Is Swachh Bharat working', Mount Carmel girls yell 'Yessss'
- Yuvraj Singh completes 8000 runs in first class cricket
- Katra helicopter crash: 'Dead pilot' Sumita Vijayan says she is alive