Jayalalithaa attacks Home Ministry on NCTC
New Delhi: Rejecting the National Counter Terrorism Centre (NCTC) in its present form, Tamil Nadu Chief Minister J Jayalalithaa on Saturday blasted the Home Ministry, saying it was trying to "belittle" the state governments and treating them as "pawns on a chess board" instead of addressing "gaps and deficiencies" in counter terrorism capabilities.
Addressing Chief Ministers and Prime Minister Manmohan Singh, Jayalalithaa said the Home Ministry`s move to accumulate the counter-terrorism powers with the central agency "is preposterous and reveals total lack of understanding of ground realities".
She said the NCTC in its present format would only strengthen terrorists.
Saturday`s meeting of Chief Ministers on NCTC comes within three weeks of another meeting of theirs on internal security held on April 16, also in New Delhi.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Narendra Modi's speech at Heart of Asia conference
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- India-Afghanistan thrash Pakistan over terrorism issue in Heart of Asia conference
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa suffers cardiac arrest; being monitored
- Watch: PM Modi addresses rally in Moradabad, UP - Part II
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Fake or Real? 'Alien animal' caught on Karnataka-Kerala border
- People want to know whether Jayalalithaa is alive or not; PM Narendra Modi must intervene, says expelled AIADMK MP Sasikala Pushpa
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition continues to remain critical after suffering cardiac arrest
- Jayalalithaa's health condition: Amma critical, nation's political fraternity expresses concern - Who said what