Jayalalithaa calls up Mamata, thanks her
Kolkata: AIADMK supremo J Jayalalithaa Friday called up Trinamool Congress chief Mamata Banerjee and thanked her for saying that she was open to supporting the Tamil Nadu chief minister if she wanted to become the prime minister.
The two leaders discussed the Lok Sabha elections and the post-poll alliance possibilities, Trinamool sources said.
A day back, during an interview to a national television channel, Banerjee was asked whether she was open to backing Jayalalithaa if the Tamil Nadu chief minister wanted to become prime minister.
"I have no problem. I don`t bother about the chair," Banerjee replied.
Jayalalithaa`s call also came a day after the collapse of the seat adjustment talks in Tamil Nadu between the AIADMK and the two communist parties.
Jayalalithaa offered one seat each to the Communist Party of India-Marxist (CPI-M) and the Communist Party of India (CPI) out of the 39 Lok Sabha seats in the southern state.
Unhappy with the offer, the two parties announced they were calling off their alliance with the AIADMK for the Lok Sabha elections and would go to the hustings alone.
With the communist parties, who are Banerjee`s bitter enemies, out of the way, the comfort level between the two leaders have increased, the sources said. Another important aspect is their areas of influence do not clash.
The Trinamool Congress, which has decided to field candidates in a number of states, opted to stay away from Tamil Nadu. Similarly, there is no AIADMK candidate in West Bengal.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi addressing rally in Imphal
- Will Shiv Sena join hands with Congress to stop BJP from entering BMC?
- Panel discussion on Farooq Abdullah's remark on terrorists
- DNA: Why depression cases are increasing rapidly in India?
- Delhi: Three-year-old twins die after falling into washing machine in Rohini
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's epic celebration after destroying Lahore Qalandars in Dubai
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- Mitchell Johnson takes a dig at Anil Kumble over calling Steve O'Keefe 'steady'
- India vs Australia, 1st Test, Day 3: As it happened...