Jayalalithaa calls up Mamata, thanks her
Kolkata: AIADMK supremo J Jayalalithaa Friday called up Trinamool Congress chief Mamata Banerjee and thanked her for saying that she was open to supporting the Tamil Nadu chief minister if she wanted to become the prime minister.
The two leaders discussed the Lok Sabha elections and the post-poll alliance possibilities, Trinamool sources said.
A day back, during an interview to a national television channel, Banerjee was asked whether she was open to backing Jayalalithaa if the Tamil Nadu chief minister wanted to become prime minister.
"I have no problem. I don`t bother about the chair," Banerjee replied.
Jayalalithaa`s call also came a day after the collapse of the seat adjustment talks in Tamil Nadu between the AIADMK and the two communist parties.
Jayalalithaa offered one seat each to the Communist Party of India-Marxist (CPI-M) and the Communist Party of India (CPI) out of the 39 Lok Sabha seats in the southern state.
Unhappy with the offer, the two parties announced they were calling off their alliance with the AIADMK for the Lok Sabha elections and would go to the hustings alone.
With the communist parties, who are Banerjee`s bitter enemies, out of the way, the comfort level between the two leaders have increased, the sources said. Another important aspect is their areas of influence do not clash.
The Trinamool Congress, which has decided to field candidates in a number of states, opted to stay away from Tamil Nadu. Similarly, there is no AIADMK candidate in West Bengal.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan
- Jayalalithaa's funeral procession: Sea of mourners gather to pay last respects
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan - Part II
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- RIP Amma: Jayalalithaa dies after 75 days in hospital; Tamil Nadu mourns
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- Kapil Sharma renews contract, his latest fee will make your jaw drop!