Jayalalithaa, Mamata to skip meet on internal security
New Delhi: J Jayalalithaa and Mamata Banerjee will not attend Wednesday`s Chief Ministers` conference on internal security where a new strategy is likely to be chalked out to check the growing violence by Naxals.
The meeting, convened by the Home Ministry and to be inaugurated by Prime Minister Manmohan Singh, will deliberate extensively on the activities of Pakistan-based terrorist groups, infiltration from across the border, communal disturbance and how to improve intelligence gathering mechanism.
Chief ministers of nine Naxal-affected states will have a separate session where the Home Ministry is expected to get approval to a new comprehensive strategy to deal with the Maoists problem which has been termed as country`s biggest internal security challenge.
This comes in the wake of May 25 attack on a Congress rally in Chhattisgarh which claimed 27 lives including PCC chief Nand Kumar Patel and former minister Mahendra Karma.
Tamil Nadu Chief Minister Jayalalithaa will not attend the meeting saying such conferences held by the Centre have become an "annual ritualistic exercise and very little opportunity was given to chief ministers to express their views".
Her West Bengal counterpart Banerjee, who will also skip the meeting, however, did not give any reason why she was not going to attend the conference.
Police reforms, filling up of vacancies in police forces, modernisation of police forces, enhanced security to women, situation in Jammu and Kashmir and northeastern region will also be discussed threadbare during the day-long conference.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Prashant Bhushan questions Arvind Kejriwal on Lokpal through press conference
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Exclusive: Prakash Javadekar's views on issue of climate change before UN summit
- Kerala's Sunni religious leader calls gender equality ‘un-Islamic’
- Women fit only to deliver children, gender equality un-islamic: Kerala Muslim leader
- Intolerance issue: Aamir Khan's remarks 'innocent', says Rajkumar Hirani
- Arvind Kejriwal backs Tarun Gogoi's claim over Guv favouring BJP, suspects 'coop federalism'
- Muslims worldwide had celebrated after 9/11: Donald Trump
- PM Modi congratulates Zee News for its efforts to promote energy conservation