Jayalalithaa wants PM to advice Karnataka on Mekedatu project
Chennai: Tamil Nadu Chief Minister J Jayalalithaa has written to Prime Minister Manmohan Singh seeking his intervention and advice to Karnataka government not to take up any schemes, including hydro-electric projects, in the Cauvery basin without her state`s consent.
"I also request you to advice the Ministry of Environment and Forests, Government of India, not to accord clearance to any project by Karnataka in the river Cauvery till a permanent monitoring mechanism viz., the Cauvery Management Board is formed," she said in her letter, a copy of which was made available to the media on Tuesday.
Referring to media reports of Karnataka government`s plan to construct a hydro power station at Mekedatu for which three reservoirs across the river Cauvery were to be constructed, she said, "…The proposed reservoirs near Mekedatu are new schemes not contemplated in the final order of the Cauvery Water Disputes Tribunal. Further, the Cauvery Water Disputes Tribunal prescribes the total quantity of water to be used for consumptive use."
"Therefore, this proposal of Karnataka is wholly illegal and is causing great alarm and apprehension in Tamil Nadu, as it will affect the natural flow of the river Cauvery considerably and will severely affect the irrigation in Tamil Nadu," she contented.
Observing that Karnataka`s plan would "set at nought" the final order of the Cauvery Water Disputes Tribunal, she said, "The government of Karnataka should not be allowed to unilaterally execute a scheme without the consent of the lower riparian state."
The Cauvery Management Board, which was directed to be constituted by the final order of the Cauvery Water Disputes Tribunal was yet to be put in place by the Centre.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 'Give up terrorism and let’s talk', Sushma Swaraj's reply to Nawaz Sharif at UNGA
- Lalu Yadav attacks PM Modi over Mahatma Gandhi's assassination
- Whole world is worried about global warming and climate change, says PM Modi
- Bihar will celebrate two Diwalis in 2015, one will be after poll results: Modi
- Is Mahatma Gandhi's name slowly fading away from the minds of the youth?
- World can now see consequences of Pakistan occupation in PoK: India
- Watch: Unbelievable! Kapil Sharma thrown out of Aishwarya Rai’s vanity van
- 1st T20: India vs South Africa – Players to watch out for
- Know who replaced Katrina Kaif in film opposite Jackie Chan
- ISL 2015: Chennaiyin FC vs Atletico de Kolkata - Preview