JD-S’ latest: Suitcases full of proof on BSY
Bangalore: Not appearing to spare the ruling BJP disposition in Karnataka, the legislators belonging to the main opposition JD-S on Wednesday marched inside the State Assembly with two suitcases containing documents to prove corruption charges against Chief Minister BS Yeddyurappa.
The high-voltage drama ended only after marshals took control of the two suitcases from the JD-S legislators and carried them out of the state Assembly. The Opposition, however, refused to budge and continued to protest against the government by boycotting proceeding for the rest of the day.
As per reports, the Opposition members have been demanding a formal debate on the issue of corruption involving the Chief Minister, his family members and his cabinet ministers.
However, their request was turned down by the Speaker K G Bopaiah.
On Tuesday, the Opposition MLAs staged a dharna inside the State Assembly for the second day but the ruling party managed to push through some business including election of N Yogish Bhat as Deputy Speaker.
Amid protests, the Speaker K G Bopaiah went ahead with the motion of electing BJP nominee as his deputy, ignoring objections from the Opposition and declared "unanimous" election of Bhat by voice-vote.
In the recent months, Yeddyurappa has come under scanner for gifting government land to his friends and family in sweetheart deals. Most of the documents to back those charges were helpfully provided by the JD(S) headed by former Chief Minister HD Kumaraswamy.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Outrage over Tanmay Bhatt's video mocking Lata Mangeshkar, Sachin Tendulkar
- VHP's women wing Durga Vahini gives arms training to children!
- Heavy rain disrupts flight operations in Delhi
- MP: Liquor mafia attacks police, journalists with weapons
- Attack on African nationals: Gen VK Singh slammed for his statement
- Islamic State selling sex slaves on Facebook for $8,000
- Puducherry: Narayanasamy to meet Lt Gov Kiran Bedi today, stake claim to form govt
- Armed squad kills 11 people in Venezuela: Official
- Khalistan terror camp running in Canada to attack Punjab; Justin Trudeau govt alerted
- Barack Obama could be Hillary's secret weapon in rallying Democratic support: Report