JD-U, BJP have nothing in common, says Nitish Kumar
New Delhi: A day after the second phase of Bihar Assembly polls, Chief Minister and Janata Dal-United (JD-U) leader Nitish Kumar on Monday said that his party has nothing in common with alliance partner Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP).
"We have a totally different ideology from the BJP," Nitish Kumar said in an interview to a news channel.
"The question of having a similar school of thought need not arise, if in an alliance there is a common programme. That very programme contains minority welfare also and we implement that," he said.
"The fact is that ideologies are different, there is no similarity on many issues, and there cannot be also. In an alliance, the government is made together, elections are fought together, there is a common programme," Nitish Kumar said.
He added that not letting Gujarat Chief Minister and BJP leader Narendra Modi campaign in Bihar was a decision of the alliance partner.
"This (Narendra Modi`s campaign) is not our matter, it`s the BJP`s. They have to decide, we are nowhere interfering in their decision on who has to be called and who doesn`t," he said.
The JD-U leader rejected any possibility of having an alliance with the Congress.
"I am a product of the JP (Jayaprakash Narayan) movement and that doesn`t even come in my line of thinking. I have good relations with the BJP and have had a good experience working with them. That`s why I am still working with them and will continue to do so," he said.
Asked about Congress leader Rahul Gandhi`s icon status, Nitish Kumar avoided a direct comment and said any boy born in a normal family is an icon.
"I am talking about the new generation and not about a youth icon. For me, any boy born in a normal family is an icon and I think that the new generation is smart and will move ahead. I do not want to talk about an individual," he said.
Nitish Kumar added that development was an important issue in Bihar polls.
"The victory of development in these elections will be a victory for Bihar. People should take inspiration from the past and break through the caste divide. This will lead to the development of Bihar. I am happy about the fact that the new generation has realised this," he said.
"Though many people will try and create a caste divide, it will not work. Everyone is working towards development. If Bihar is strong, the country will be strong and it is our duty to contribute to national growth," the JD-U leader said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- BCCI announces Team India squad for Bangladesh tour
- Sudha Shivpuri aka 'Baa' of 'Kyuki Saas Bhi Kabhi Bahu Thi' dies
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- Kejriwal accuses Centre of trying to rule Delhi through LG
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- Expect that Rahul will be Congress president in 2015: Jairam Ramesh
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- DNA: Analysis of Hurriyat chief Syed Geelani's passport issue
- DNA: Analysis of traffic system of Vancouver, Canada
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 expected to be announced on May 21
- JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015: JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015 (jharkhandeducation.net) likely to be announced on Thursday May 21 at 1 PM
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results to be announced on May 21 at www.apeamcet.org
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- IPL 2015: Rajasthan Royals vs Royal Challengers Bangalore - As it happened...
- DHSE (dhsekerala.gov.in) 12th Result 2015: Kerala DHSE Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced on May 21
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be declared on May 21
- 'IAS officer DK Ravi possibly committed suicide, suffered big loss in real estate business'
- Bihar Intermediate Result 2015 declared