JD-U flays protest against Pak PM`s visit to Ajmer
New Delhi: NDA ally JD-U on Saturday disapproved of the protests against the visit of Pakistan Prime Minister Raja Pervez Ashraf to Ajmer Sharif shrine in Rajasthan saying "politics and pilgrimage should not be mixed".
"Anybody can visit the durbar of Khwaja Moinuddin Chishti. The boycott of the Pakistani premiere`s visit by the Ajmer Sharif Dargah Diwan, Zainul Abedin Ali Khan is something contrary to the tradition of the Khawaja," party president Sharad Yadav said.
Yadav`s remarks came even as Uttar Pradesh unit of BJP today welcomed the move of Ajmer Sharif spiritual head to boycott the Pakistan Prime Minister`s visit to the shrine in protest against the beheading of Indian soldiers by Pakistani Army recently.
Former External Affairs Minister and senior BJP leader Yashwant Sinha had also said yesterday that the "courtesy" being extended to Pakistan Prime Minister during his visit should remain just that and not go beyond it, insisting "terrorism and talks" cannot go side by side.
The JD-U chief said "should there be politics if Prime Minister Manmohan Singh and former Prime Minister IK Gujral visit Nankana Sahib in Pakistan, a Sikh spiritual centre in that country".
"Pilgrimage should be allowed to remain a pilgrimage and politics should not be mixed with it. Everybody is permitted to visit the shrine of the Khwaja, which is a centre of reverence for all religions," Yadav said.
He at the same time maintained that he understands the anger of people over what had happened on the border recently.
Local lawyers and the Ajmer Dargah market association today joined the protest against his visit in view of the brutal killing and beheading of Indian soldiers by Pakistani Army some time back.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Prashant Bhushan questions Arvind Kejriwal on Lokpal through press conference
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Exclusive: Prakash Javadekar's views on issue of climate change before UN summit
- Kerala's Sunni religious leader calls gender equality ‘un-Islamic’
- Women fit only to deliver children, gender equality un-islamic: Kerala Muslim leader
- Intolerance issue: Aamir Khan's remarks 'innocent', says Rajkumar Hirani
- Arvind Kejriwal backs Tarun Gogoi's claim over Guv favouring BJP, suspects 'coop federalism'
- Muslims worldwide had celebrated after 9/11: Donald Trump
- PM Modi congratulates Zee News for its efforts to promote energy conservation