JD-U for united opposition VP candidate
New Delhi: The JD-U on Monday said the Opposition parties will seek to put up a united face during the Vice Presidential Election notwithstanding the differences among them on the issue of Presidential Election.
"President`s Election was a different ball game. It was a different thing in the Presidential Election. Pranab Mukherjee has so much experience in politics. He understands the country. That is why we supported his candidature".
"However, this time efforts will be made to ensure that the Opposition puts up a united face on the issue of Vice President`s Election. We are now worried about Vice President`s Elections. We want there should be a broader unity in the Opposition on it," party president Sharad Yadav said.
He said that the JD-U`s desire is that the Chair should be occupied by a "neutral person" so that all parties can raise their issues in Parliament.
Yadav, however, refused to comment on whether his party will support Hamid Ansari`s candidature for the top job and whose name has been discussed by Prime Minister Manmohan Singh in a meeting with JD(S) president and former Prime Minister H D Devegowda.
"We will not be speculating on names. No name has been discussed with us so far," Yadav said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Muslim writer, accused of insulting God, attacked in Kerala
- Gujarat Dalit victims say 'gau rakshaks' could have burnt them alive
- OnePlus 3 Soft Gold edition hitting the stores today
- Baar Baar Dekho: Brand new ‘Kala Chashma’ still featuring Katrina Kaif, Sidharth Malhotra
- 1st Test, Day 1 – Sri Lanka vs Australia - As it happened...