JD-U for united opposition VP candidate
New Delhi: The JD-U on Monday said the Opposition parties will seek to put up a united face during the Vice Presidential Election notwithstanding the differences among them on the issue of Presidential Election.
"President`s Election was a different ball game. It was a different thing in the Presidential Election. Pranab Mukherjee has so much experience in politics. He understands the country. That is why we supported his candidature".
"However, this time efforts will be made to ensure that the Opposition puts up a united face on the issue of Vice President`s Election. We are now worried about Vice President`s Elections. We want there should be a broader unity in the Opposition on it," party president Sharad Yadav said.
He said that the JD-U`s desire is that the Chair should be occupied by a "neutral person" so that all parties can raise their issues in Parliament.
Yadav, however, refused to comment on whether his party will support Hamid Ansari`s candidature for the top job and whose name has been discussed by Prime Minister Manmohan Singh in a meeting with JD(S) president and former Prime Minister H D Devegowda.
"We will not be speculating on names. No name has been discussed with us so far," Yadav said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Brexit: UK goes to polls in knife-edge EU referendum; over 46 million people to decide Britain's fate
- 'US will continue to expand defense systems to protect South Korea, regional allies from North Korean missiles'
- Bandits kill 31 bush taxi passengers in Madagascar
- North Korean leader Kim Jong-Un hails successful test of new missile, says it can strike US Pacific bases
- LIC chairman S K Roy resigns two years before his term ends