JD-U tells BJP not to politicise Assam violence
New Delhi: A day after BJP sharpened its attack on Prime Minister Manmohan Singh, accusing him of being a "mute spectator" over the escalating ethnic violence in Assam which has claimed over 40 lives, key NDA ally JD-U cautioned that "every issue should not be politicised".
"Political parties should not do politics on this; rather they should be taking steps which improve the situation there. Every issue should not be politicised. What is the gain from politicising every issue," party president Sharad Yadav told reporters here.
BJP had yesterday demanded a straight answer from the Prime Minister on the violence with party general secretary Ananth Kumar saying, "Prime Minister Manmohan Singh represents Assam in Parliament. It is unfortunate that he has turned a mute spectator on the increasing violence in Assam and the grim flood situation there."
Terming the situation arising out of ethnic violence in Assam as "alarming", BJP said it has been forewarning the Centre on this for a long time and said both have totally failed in stopping the violence in Assam.
The JD-U president, however, found the response of the Congress government in Assam to the situation satisfactory.
"The state government`s response is okay," he said when asked about it.
Yadav at the same time said the government should take steps to normalise the situation and deal with the violence sternly.
Yadav also expressed concern over "changing demography" in the region and asked for effective steps to address the situation saying that "delaying a problem is no solution".
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on BJP MLAs assaulting legislator Rashid inside J&K Assembly
- Watch: How Russian special forces Spetsnaz will end terror of ISIS
- Vladimir Putin's attack on ISIS making America and NATO nations uneasy?
- Watch: Man beheads wife; roams on streets with severed head in Pune
- Greater Noida women blames UP police for stripping off their clothes
- Latest condition of Navjot Singh Sidhu: Sherry Paaji making steady recovery!
- FIR against Asaduddin Owaisi for posting objectionable picture of Yogi Adityanath on Facebook
- Man beheads wife over suspicion of illicit relationship, walks on road with her head
- Shocking! Saudi employer chops off Indian maid's hands
- Salman Khan's songs: Best five!