JD-U tells BJP not to politicise Assam violence
New Delhi: A day after BJP sharpened its attack on Prime Minister Manmohan Singh, accusing him of being a "mute spectator" over the escalating ethnic violence in Assam which has claimed over 40 lives, key NDA ally JD-U cautioned that "every issue should not be politicised".
"Political parties should not do politics on this; rather they should be taking steps which improve the situation there. Every issue should not be politicised. What is the gain from politicising every issue," party president Sharad Yadav told reporters here.
BJP had yesterday demanded a straight answer from the Prime Minister on the violence with party general secretary Ananth Kumar saying, "Prime Minister Manmohan Singh represents Assam in Parliament. It is unfortunate that he has turned a mute spectator on the increasing violence in Assam and the grim flood situation there."
Terming the situation arising out of ethnic violence in Assam as "alarming", BJP said it has been forewarning the Centre on this for a long time and said both have totally failed in stopping the violence in Assam.
The JD-U president, however, found the response of the Congress government in Assam to the situation satisfactory.
"The state government`s response is okay," he said when asked about it.
Yadav at the same time said the government should take steps to normalise the situation and deal with the violence sternly.
Yadav also expressed concern over "changing demography" in the region and asked for effective steps to address the situation saying that "delaying a problem is no solution".
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- BSP shrugs off Rita Bahuguna 's jump; says BJP will still face defeat in UP polls
- Navjot Singh Sidhu out on zero to Waqar Younis in 1990 – The match Kapil Sharma keeps talking about
- MS Dhoni reacts in astonishment as Axar Patel takes a stunning one-handed catch - VIDEO
- Pierce Brosnan 'deeply shocked and saddened' because of Pan Masala brand ad
- Sushant Singh Rajput’s former girlfriend Ankita Lokhande’s Karva Chauth photos will surprise you