JD-U uneasy with Modi’s clout
New Delhi: Gujarat Chief Minister Narendra Modi`s apparent growing clout in BJP has created some unease in the key NDA ally JD-U.
Though the key NDA partner has refrained from commenting on the development in public, a number of JD-U leaders, speaking on the condition of anonymity, say it could become difficult for them to do business with BJP if Modi was to be projected as its Prime Ministerial candidate for the 2014 Lok Sabha elections.
"How can we accept someone as our Prime Ministerial candidate with whom we can`t even dine," said a senior party leader alluding to the cancellation of a dinner by Bihar Chief Minister Nitish Kumar for the top brass of the Bharatiya Janata Party in 2010.
The snub was meant to convey Kumar`s disapproval of an advertisement featuring him with Gujarat Chief Minister Narendra Modi issued by local BJP during a national meeting of the party in Patna in 2010.
Another senior party leader said, "what can we do if they are hell-bent on committing suicide."
Maintaining that JD-U has been the longest ally of the NDA, the leader said, "If JD-U walks out of the alliance, the soul of NDA is out."
Contacted, JD-U general secretary KC Tyagi merely merely said "let them first propose that who is their Prime Ministerial candidate. We will see then. They have not sounded us on projection of any particular leader in their party so far ".
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indrani 'slow-poisoned' Sheena, wanted to portray Mikhail as 'mentally unstable'?
- 'Mann ki Baat': Will implement 13 new pointers to Land Bill from today itself, says PM Modi
- People have no faith left in Modi government: Sonia Gandhi at Swabhiman rally
- Will not allow any political party to join agitation: Hardik Patel
- Swabhiman rally: About Bihar's development or Narendra Modi?
- Satire website publishes article on Osama bin Laden being alive and quotes Edward Snowden
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukerjea's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna, driver taken to Raigad to recreate crime scene
- Indrani's former brother-in-law claims Sheena was Siddharth Das' daughter
- Sheena murder: Suitcase seized from Indrani, Peter's residence meant for disposing Mikhail's body?
- Militants kill two engineers in Pakistan airport attack