JD(U) flays Congress for attacking CAG
New Delhi: Opposition JD-U on Tuesday flayed Congress for attacking CAG and for suggesting a political agenda behind its report on coal block allocation.
Seeking to turn the tables on the ruling party on its assertion that there is a "meeting of minds" between CAG and BJP, party president Sharad Yadav reminded Congress that it had also nominated former Chief Justice of India Rangnath Mishra as a Rajya Sabha member and made former CEC M S Gill a Union Minister in UPA-I government.
He was reacting to assertion by Congress spokesperson Manish Tewari yesterday that there is a "meeting of minds" between the CAG and the BJP and the refrain of its general secretary Digvijay Singh, who had suggested that CAG Vinod Rai has political agenda like one of his controversial predecessors T N Chaturvedi, who had given a report on Bofors issue and soon after joined the BJP.
Yadav said, "I disapprove of what people from Congress said yesterday about CAG. Manish Tewari is intelligent. He suggests that CAG BJP are together.
"Digvijay Singh cited the case of former CAG TN Chaturvedi, who later became a Rajya Sabha member from BJP. They should also remember who made the former CJI Rangnath Mishra a member of Rajya Sabha. They should also remember who made the former CEC M S Gill a minister. I would have actually lost the election had everything been in the hands of Gill."
He also reminded that Law Minister Salman Khurshid and another Union Minister Beni Prasad Verma had during the run-up to Uttar Pradesh Assembly elections attacked the then Chief Election Commissioner S Y Qureshi, which was an "assault on a Constitutional body like Election Commission".
"I urge Congress President Sonia Gandhi and Prime Minister Manmohan Singh to bring an end to this," he said.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I am surviving only on 25% of my liver today, says Big B
- Aamir Khan's 'intolerance' comment kicks up row
- Exclusive: Sudhir Chaudhary in conversation with Aamir Khan on intolerance in India!
- Panel discussion on Aamir Khan's remark on 'intolerance'
- Rahul Gandhi spotted with hate speech convict Imran Masood in Saharanpur
- Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh bypoll results: As it happened on November 24
- Intolerance issue: When did ‘Incredible India’ become ‘Intolerant India’, Anupam Kher asks Aamir Khan
- Tirupati, Tirumala rains update: Temple remains open; pilgrims continue to pour in for darshan
- BJP's big poser to Aamir Khan: Is there any better neighbour for Muslims than a Hindu?
- Muslim leader Asaduddin Owaisi says Aamir Khan wrong in wanting to leave India