JD(U) flays Congress for attacking CAG
New Delhi: Opposition JD-U on Tuesday flayed Congress for attacking CAG and for suggesting a political agenda behind its report on coal block allocation.
Seeking to turn the tables on the ruling party on its assertion that there is a "meeting of minds" between CAG and BJP, party president Sharad Yadav reminded Congress that it had also nominated former Chief Justice of India Rangnath Mishra as a Rajya Sabha member and made former CEC M S Gill a Union Minister in UPA-I government.
He was reacting to assertion by Congress spokesperson Manish Tewari yesterday that there is a "meeting of minds" between the CAG and the BJP and the refrain of its general secretary Digvijay Singh, who had suggested that CAG Vinod Rai has political agenda like one of his controversial predecessors T N Chaturvedi, who had given a report on Bofors issue and soon after joined the BJP.
Yadav said, "I disapprove of what people from Congress said yesterday about CAG. Manish Tewari is intelligent. He suggests that CAG BJP are together.
"Digvijay Singh cited the case of former CAG TN Chaturvedi, who later became a Rajya Sabha member from BJP. They should also remember who made the former CJI Rangnath Mishra a member of Rajya Sabha. They should also remember who made the former CEC M S Gill a minister. I would have actually lost the election had everything been in the hands of Gill."
He also reminded that Law Minister Salman Khurshid and another Union Minister Beni Prasad Verma had during the run-up to Uttar Pradesh Assembly elections attacked the then Chief Election Commissioner S Y Qureshi, which was an "assault on a Constitutional body like Election Commission".
"I urge Congress President Sonia Gandhi and Prime Minister Manmohan Singh to bring an end to this," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is population control next on central govt's agenda after demonetization?
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan
- Jayalalithaa's funeral procession: Sea of mourners gather to pay last respects
- Watch: Tracing the journey of late Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa from films to politics
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- RIP Amma: Jayalalithaa dies after 75 days in hospital; Tamil Nadu mourns
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- J Jayalalithaa passes away: Know what all she left behind in assets