JD(U) hints at going with BJP`s decision on Vice-P
New Delhi: Key NDA ally JD(U), which has supported UPA`s presidential candidate Pranab Mukherjee, on Sunday gave broad indication that it would go with BJP`s decision for a contest in Vice-Presidential election.
JD(U) chief Sharad Yadav, who is also the NDA convenor, said the opposition alliance is meeting tomorrow to discuss all the options and a decision will be announced later.
Yadav, however, downplayed reports about NDA considering his candidature for the Constitutional post, saying he would not like to comment on "speculations."
The ruling UPA has already declared incumbent Hamid Ansari as its candidate for Vice-Presidential poll.
"The issue of Vice President election and Pranab Mukherjee are separate. I have never supported Congress` political line since I joined politics. We have supported Mukherjee for his political experience only," Yadav told reporters here.
The BJP core group, which met here yesterday, has decided to go for a contest.
The party, however, maintained that it will finalise its nominee after consulting NDA allies.
"Tomorrow at 11 am there is an NDA meeting. Being the Convenor of NDA, speaking before the meeting will be a violation of the decorum. Then we will decide what has to be done," Yadav said.
When asked about the reported move by the NDA to field him as opposition alliance`s candidate to ensure a contest, he said, "I will never speak on speculations. But unfortunately my name has also been surfaced".
Criticising the economic policies of the UPA government, Yadav said the financial situation of the country has become worse during its eight year rule.
"Mukherjee is also responsible for that. We don`t support him for that," he said, referring the two Bharat bandhs organised by NDA protesting against fuel price hike.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- Reliance Jio effect: Airtel offers free unlimited local and STD calls with 4G data at Rs 145
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video