JD(U) hits out at Khap panchayats
New Delhi: The JD(U) on Friday hit out at Khap panchayats over the recent incident of a village Panchayat in Uttar Pradesh issuing a diktat on the movement of women, saying strict action should be taken against such people engaging in such tendencies.
"These unconstitutional Khap panchayats have openly defied the law of the land by issuing illegal diktats...How can the Khap panchayats put a ban on women visiting markets and using cell phones or ask them to cover their head in public. These type of Khap panchayats orders are a slur on our society", JD(U) president Sharad Yadav told reporters here.
He said the most unfortunate aspect of this entire incident is that this has happened in the vicinity of the national capital.
Yadav said the chief ministers of states as well as the Delhi, Haryana and Uttar Pradesh CMs should be tough in dealing with such diktats.
"Government and our political leaders are not taking this issue very seriously because of the fear of losing their vote bank. This is a social issue which should be tackled with a firm hand. Since it is being taken in a lackadaisical manner, these type of Khap panchayats are getting encouragement," Yadav said.
The JD(U) president appealed to the Chief Ministers and Cabinet Ministers not to forget the oath of allegiance to the Constitution that they took when they were appointed.
He also condemned the incident in Guwahati where a girl was molested and said that the Centre and the Assam government should take the matter seriously and strengthen the police force to control them. He stated that the cops were finding it difficult to take action due to shortage of personnel.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on BJP MLAs assaulting legislator Rashid inside J&K Assembly
- Watch: How Russian special forces Spetsnaz will end terror of ISIS
- Vladimir Putin's attack on ISIS making America and NATO nations uneasy?
- Two J&K MLAs clash over beef party issue in Legislative Assembly
- Watch: Man beheads wife; roams on streets with severed head in Pune
- Latest condition of Navjot Singh Sidhu: Sherry Paaji making steady recovery!
- FIR against Asaduddin Owaisi for posting objectionable picture of Yogi Adityanath on Facebook
- Man beheads wife over suspicion of illicit relationship, walks on road with her head
- Bihar has to choose between 'jungle raj' and 'vikas Raj': Narendra Modi
- Shocking! Saudi employer chops off Indian maid's hands