JD(U) national meet likely to indicate opposition to Narendra Modi
New Delhi: Amid strong reservations within the party over Narendra Modi`s much-speculated projection as BJP`s Prime Ministerial candidate, the two-day national meet of JD-U beginning here tomorrow is set to bring the spotlight back on NDA`s next candidate for the top post.
The national executive and national council meeting of JD(U) will also see a formal announcement of Sharad Yadav as the party`s President for a third consecutive time.
The Constitution of JD-U was amended on March 5 to provide a third term to Yadav who had first become its chief in 2006 replacing George Fernandes.
JD-U, whose antipathy to Narendra Modi is well-known, is likely to make a strong demand for early projection of the next Prime Ministerial candidate of the alliance and emphasise its commitment to secularism ahead of Lok Sabha elections.
Though party leaders have remained tight-lipped about the contents of the political resolution to be passed at the meeting, there is a likelihood that the party refrains from naming Modi in it but making its reservations against his candidature more than clear.
There are indications that the party leaders will vehemently oppose projection of the Gujarat Chief Minister for the top job.
Rajya Sabha MP from JD-U Ali Anwar Ansari said "it is the old stand of the party that some secular leader should be projected as Prime Minister of NDA, a leader, who is acceptable to all and who believes in taking all sections together. It should be announced before the polls, who will be NDA`s Prime Ministerial candidate."
Congress leader from Bihar Shakeel Ahmed, however, mocked at JD(U)`s "secular search" saying "if somebody is searching for secular leader and says no to Narendra Modi but yes to L K Advani, it makes no sense."
"Modi is the symptom of the disease (of communalism) that Atal Behari Vajpayee and Advani had spread," he said.
JD(U) President Sharad Yadav had yesterday evaded a
direct reply on whether the party will oppose the projection of Modi. "We had never compromised on the issue of secularism nor will we do now," he said.
He was asked whether secular credentials of NDA`s next Prime Ministerial candidate will be an important issue to be discussed at the JD(U) meet.
On whether the party will discuss the issue of Modi`s increased projection in BJP, he had said "there is no bar on any issue. Everything can be discussed. Sky is the limit as far discussing issues is concerned.
There has been unease in JD(U) over Modi and Bihar Chief Minister Nitish Kumar, who runs a coalition government with BJP, has been a known critic of Modi.
A sizeable section in JD-U believes that parting of ways with BJP will be unavoidable if Modi is projected a Prime Ministerial candidate in Lok Sabha polls.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- DNA analysis of rising water crisis in India!
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- Check mahresult.nic.in for Maharashtra HSC Result 2015 to be announced at 1 pm on May 27
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt