JD(U) not for Sibal`s resignation over cartoon row
New Delhi: Opposition Janata Dal (United) on Monday said it was not in favour of seeking resignation of HRD Minister Kapil Sibal over objectionable cartoons in NCERT books.
"We are not for resignation of Sibal on this issue. But what I feel is that these cartoons are for a matured mind and not for children. Minds of children are tender," Sharad Yadav, whose JD(U) is an NDA member, told reporters outside Parliament.
The issue of controversial cartoons in textbooks generated heat in the Lok Sabha with members demanding immediate action in the matter saying the sketch has hurt sentiments of a section of society.
Yadav said, "We are not against cartoons as such. We are all for freedom of expression. We have no objection to the criticism of politicians also. But these cartoons which are for a matured mind are being featured in NCERT text books."
However, MP Harsimrat Kaur of Shiromani Akali Dal, also an NDA member, maintained that showing politicians and voters "in bad light" is not good for the country and democracy.
"Schoolchildren are being taught in the NCERT text books that voters are dogs which is not humorous. I as politician do not find it funny nor would you as a voter," Kaur said.
On the argument of ensuring freedom of expression, she said, "We are all for freedom of press and expression. But to poison and mislead the young minds in the name of freedom of expression is totally wrong. When it is appearing in NCERT books, then it is not fair and today politicians are being painted in bad light which is not good. This will weaken the country."
A charge sheet has been filed by CBI in January this year
before a Kolkata special court against Kishore and five other persons including the owner of accounting firm (S K Tulsiyan and Company), S K Tulsiyan, Sashi Tulsiyan, Ravi Tulsiyan besides middle men Subhash Chand Barjatiya and Nishant Jain.
The agency had alleged that Kishore demanded bribe of Rs 30 lakh from the accounting firm for undue favours extended to them in Income Tax matters of various parties before the Tribunal.
"The Tulsiyans were acting as a tout to Shri Jugal Kishore and were the middlemen and prepared orders on behalf of the members of ITAT, Kolkata and manipulated orders," a CBI spokesperson had alleged.
The most glaring case is that of the tribunal`s Kolkata bench ? as many as 12 of its orders were recovered from Tulsiyan`s hard discs before these were delivered, the CBI had alleged.
The CBI had during searches conducted at Kishore`s residence recovered Rs 28 lakh of alleged bribe money and the remaining Rs two lakh was found in a brief case with Jain and Barjatiya.
Later, during the searches at the offices of the accounting firm, the CBI had claimed to have recovered nearly 14 computer discs carrying over 70 pre-dated judgements which were delivered in various benches of the tribunal.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Five unmanned parachute-like objects spotted over Mumbai airport
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Police registers case after parachute-like objects were spotted over Mumbai airport
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Check WBBSE (wbresults.nic.in) Class 12th Results: West Bengal Board (wbscvet.org) Higher Secondary Class XII Vocational Results to be declared today at 4 PM
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- Public rally on 100 days of AAP govt: As it happened
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- Unidentified flying objects spotted over Mumbai airport not motorised: Home Department
- Militants kill five, target telecoms in Kashmir attacks
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- China doesn't recognise 'illegal' McMahon Line: Beijing responds to NSA Ajit Doval