JD(U), PMK, MDMK give views to EC on recognition in states
New Delhi: Leaders of JD(U), PMK and MDMK
today presented their views before the Election Commission
which is looking into the question of their recognition in
some states based on their poll performance since last year.
MDMK leader Vaiko, JD(U) General Secretary Javed Raza,
former Union minister and PMK leader R Velu appeared before
the EC and gave their parties` views on the issue.
While Mamata Banerjee-led Trinamool Congress sought some
more time to reply, other parties -- Samajwadi Party, JMM and
Arunachal Congress did not respond, EC sources said.
The Commission had earlier issued notices to these seven
parties asking them to explain why their recognition in some
states should not be withdrawn as they failed to fulfil EC`s
conditions for being declared as a State Party.
The notices were served based on their performance in
polls to Lok Sabha or State Legislative Assemblies since last
The JD (U), which is a recognised party in Bihar and
Jharkhand, has been given notice in relation to its
performance in Jharkhand.
The EC conditions for getting recognition include that
the total number of valid votes polled by all the candidates
of a party at the last Lok Sabha or assembly election should
not be less than six per cent of the total votes polled.
The Commission had already heard views of Lalu Prasad-led
RJD for failing to fulfil the condition in view of its poor
show in 2009 Jharkhand Assembly polls. The EC is yet to take a
decision on it.
RJD is presently recognised in Bihar, Jharkhand, Manipur
For SP, it will be for Madhya Pradesh and Uttarakhand
while it will continue to be recognised as a State party in
In the case of Trinamool Congress, the notice is for
Meghalaya and it will continue as a State party in West Bengal
and Arunachal Pradesh.
For MDMK, the notice was given in view of it not
fulfilling the conditions for recognition in Tamil Nadu. The
PMK got the notice for its performance in Puducherry. However
it will continue to be recognised as a State Party in Tamil
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Kalam's advisor recalls his last moments with the great scientist
- To Sir with Love: School kids pay tribute to Dr Kalam
- DNA: Complete analysis of APJ Abdul Kalam's life and achievements
- India mourns APJ Abdul Kalam; PM to receive body at Palam airport
- Kalam's body flown to Delhi; PM, Prez lead nation in paying homage
- When UN declared Dr APJ Abdul Kalam's 79th birthday as World Students' Day
- India's 'original rocket man': Abdul Kalam's phenomenal contribution to Science
- Ready to see Shah Rukh-Salman together on-screen?
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral: Why Rameswaram was chosen over New Delhi?
- Zee Media Exclusive: Wife says Yakub Memon unwell, appeals to govt for clemency