JD(U) says Modi can serve nation best only as CM
Patna: JD-U Friday took a jibe at Gujarat Chief Minister Narendra Modi for his remarks that it is the duty of every child to repay the debt he owes to `Mother India` and said when a politician comments like this, it reflects his "desire" for the Delhi crown.
"Let us see that whom does Delhi prefer after 2014 Lok Sabha elections. The country can be served even by serving Gujarat. Nitish Kumar is serving Bihar. In a way he is also serving the nation.
"Modi is already serving the nation as the Chief Minister of Gujarat. But when some politician says such things, it reflects the latent desire in his heart for the Delhi crown," JD-U General Secretary Shivanand Tewari said when asked about the Gujarat Chief Minister`s remarks yesterday.
He said that a number of people want to become Prime Minister of the country "especially those who have some power in politics. All are hopeful. Mulayam Singh Yadav has also expressed his desire for it".
Virtually acknowledging his Prime Ministerial ambition, Modi had yesterday said it is the duty of every child to repay the debt he owes to "Mother India".
"Not only Modi, every child and citizen owes a debt to Mother India...It is his duty to repay the debt whenever an opportunity arises...Everybody has to repay this debt...
"I hope Mother India gives her blessings and nobody goes away without paying this debt," Modi said, in clearest indication yet that he is ready for a major role in the national political arena in the 2014 general elections, as being demanded by many in BJP.
Maintaining his party`s stand that the NDA`s prime ministerial candidate should be a person of secular background and acceptable to all sections of the society, he said the exercise to select NDA`s Prime Ministerial candidate was yet to start.
Modi was recently included in BJP Parliamentary Board, the top decision-making body of the party, which many see as a prelude to he being formally nominated BJP`s Prime Ministerial candidate.
NDA ally JD-U has been opposed to Modi`s projection as the next Prime Ministerial candidate of the alliance. Nitish Kumar, who is not on good terms with Modi, is also considered a Prime Ministerial probable by many.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- Mathura rally: PM Modi's ten power-packed dialogues
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- UBSE Results 2015 (ubse.uk.gov.in): Uttarakhand 12th Result 2015 to be announced today at 11 AM
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced on May 28
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow