JD(U) supports quota bill
New Delhi: Fissures in the NDA on Wednesday emerged over the issue of supporting the bill for quota in promotions for SC/ST with key ally JD-U "fully supporting" the bill even as the BJP is averse to its passage in the current session.
Asked about the divergence in the stand of the two parties over the issue, JD-U chief Sharad Yadav said, "They are a different political party."
Yadav, who is also the convener of the NDA, said that his party will talk to the BJP leadership over the issue but made it clear there is "no NDA meeting" scheduled as yet to discuss the issue.
When told that another NDA constituent Shiv Sena has also not supported the bill, he merely said that JD-U is based on the ideology of socialist leaders like Ram Manohar Lohia and Karpuri Thakur thereby implying that that though the JD-U is in the NDA, it has somewhat different ideological moorings than other parties in the alliance.
Yadav, however, dismissed contentions of any rift in the NDA, saying it will remain intact.
"There are certain issues on which we have different stands from our ally BJP but there is no division in the NDA. NDA is one and will remain intact," Yadav said while announcing that his party "fully supports the bill for providing reservation for promotion in jobs to the SC/ST."
The JD-U chief said that the Cabinet of Bihar government led by his party leader Nitish Kumar had approved such a provision on August 17 itself while the Centre is moving it now.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- J&K: LeT militant gunned down by security forces in Bandipora
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- Bengaluru pips Silicon Valley to become world's most dynamic city