Jesus` teachings can help end war, conflict: Ansari
Bangalore: Vice President Hamid Ansari on Saturday said following Jesus Christ`s teachings could eliminate war and conflict in the world and thereby help establish durable peace.
Ansari said as the human folly continues to propel people towards hate and conflict in many parts of the world, Jesus’ eternal message of love and compassion shows people the path to redemption.
"If we were to follow, in letter and spirit, what has been taught by Jesus Christ, we could eliminate war and conflict from this World and thereby establish durable peace which is so essential for progress and prosperity of mankind," he said at the Golden Jubilee of Ecumenical Christian Centre (ECC) and Birth Centenary Celebrations of its Founder-Director Late Rev Dr M A Thomas here.
Ansari said the Christian community in India was noted for its work in the field of education, public health, charitable services and social activities for the uplift of the down-trodden, the poor and needy.
He said the people of India can never forget the services rendered by the Christian community in the field of education, public health, charitable services and social activities for the uplift of the down-trodden, the poor and needy.
"I am myself a product of a school run by Irish Brothers in Shimla and of a college run by Jesuits in Kolkata," he said.
Talking about ECC, Ansari said it had established itself as an important institution which has rendered invaluable service in the cause of nation building and development.
He paid homage to Dr Thomas, a distinguished religious leader and a reputed public figure who made commendable contribution to promote inter-faith harmony and greater understanding amongst all sections of the society.
"Ecumenism, apart from its objective within the denominations of the Christian faith, has a wider meaning pertaining to the promotion of unity among religions based on greater cooperation and improved understanding including on social, economic and political issues concerning humanity," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Man beheads wife; roams on streets with severed head in Pune
- Greater Noida women blames UP police for stripping off their clothes
- Vladimir Putin's attack on ISIS making America and NATO nations uneasy?
- I believe this election will punish the old govts that spoiled Bihar, says PM Modi
- DNA: 50-lane traffic jam in China during national holiday
- Man beheads wife over suspicion of illicit relationship, walks on road with her head
- Why CBI is worried about Indian men’s lust for violent porn
- What's happening in Noida! Now, a Dalit family resorts to nude protest
- Bihar Assembly Elections: Opinion poll predicts absolute majority for Modi-led NDA
- Mother Teresa’s Missionaries of Charity orphanages to be derecognised?