Jethmalani backs Modi as PM, writes to Gadkari
New Delhi: Maverick lawyer-politician Ram Jethmalani caused a flutter in the BJP on Wednesday by openly coming out in support of Narendra Modi as the party’s prime ministerial candidate in 2014.
The noted lawyer, who is a Rajya Sabha member of the BJP, wrote a letter to party president Nitin Gadkari asking for a debate in the party on the party’s PM candidate.
Talking to a news channel, Jethmalani said, “We have no choice, I personally feel that he is the most able person and that he is head and shoulders above many people…The party must discuss it.”
“He (Modi) is a victim of malicious propaganda. A stain has stuck on him that he is communal, but that can be washed off…,” he added.
Interestingly, Jethmalani said, “…I go further to say that every political party that wants to have a power in the country must announce its prime ministerial candidate and even a shadow cabinet and the BJP must announce that 1/3rd of the Cabinet must comprise of people who are non-political party. I wrote this letter in the to Mr Gadkari.
When asked about the growing ambitions of party president Nitin Gadkari, Jethmalani was blunt, he said, “I will prefer Modi.”
He also said that he has written “something on corruption” too in his letter to Gadkari.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Parliamentary panel recommends 100% salary hike for MPs, health benefits for grandchildren
- Congress 'weak' to stop Modi; Rahul 'out of touch' with reality: Hansraj Bhardwaj
- Sachin Tendulkar joins Narendra Modi's #SelfieWithDaughter campaign
- Congress demands Sushma Swaraj's resignation over Lalit Modi's job offer to her husband
- BJP MP Hema Malini injured, one child killed in Dausa road accident