Jethmalani for partial AFSPA withdrawal on experimental basis
New Delhi: Taking a line different from that of his party, BJP MP Ram Jethmalani on Sunday favoured partial withdrawal of Armed Forces Special Powers Act from certain areas of Kashmir but at the same time cautioned against doing anything which shakes the confidence of the armed forces.
"We do not have to do anything which shakes the confidence of Indian people and our armed forces. But at the same time I think it is worthwhile making an experiment in some quarters, some sectors and let us see how it works," Jethmalani told reporters on the sidelines of a function here.
He was responding to questions about the government considering partial withdrawal of AFSPA from certain pockets in Kashmir.
The noted lawyer, who is a Rajya Sabha MP, was talking to reporters after delivering his lecture in a programme organised by British Council and WhyPoll on `End Poverty 2015` millennium campaign.
He said, "Ultimately everything depends upon the response of the stone-pelters and the leaders, who are instigating them to do it. If they respond to this move (withdrawal), I think it is worthwhile."
Demanding that there should be no dilution in the AFSPA, the BJP has said the government should take on board the concerns of the Army before any final decision on the sensitive issue.
It also said Government should not under any circumstances consider lifting the AFSPA from any disturbed district of the state.
Jethmalani`s remarks on the issue has come a day before the Cabinet Committee on Security (CCS) meets to consider options to restore peace in Kashmir, including state government`s demand for partial withdrawal of AFSPA.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- To Sir with Love: School kids pay tribute to Dr Kalam
- DNA: Complete analysis of APJ Abdul Kalam's life and achievements
- 6 leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim till 26/11: Report
- Rameswaram waits to give final salute to Dr Abdul Kalam
- Last rites of Gurdaspur attack martyr Baljit Singh in Kapurthala
- When UN declared Dr APJ Abdul Kalam's 79th birthday as World Students' Day
- Ready to see Shah Rukh-Salman together on-screen?
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral: Why Rameswaram was chosen over New Delhi?
- SC refuses stay on Yakub Memon's hanging: As it happened
- New SC bench to hear 1993 Mumbai bomb blasts convict Yakub Memon's plea on Wednesday