Jethmalani hopes Rajnath will `cleanse` BJP
New Delhi: Suspended BJP leader Ram Jethmalani, who had openly opposed Nitin Gadkari`s re-election as the party chief, on Wednesday lauded Rajnath Singh for his "wisdom" and hoped that the new President will "cleanse" the organisation.
"In the present circumstances, he is a much better man. I hope (with) absolute wisdom and great statesmanship, he cleans BJP of the people who are inside BJP but are a threat to its continued existence," he told reporters here.
Singh was elected unopposed as BJP president today after he filed nomination papers for the post. This is his second term as party`s chief.
Singh, who headed the party from 2006 to 2009, emerged as the consensus candidate after Gadkari, facing allegations of dubious funding of his company, was last night forced out of the race for party President`s post.
In October last year, Jethmalani, a Rajya Sabha MP, had openly said that Gadkari should not seek a second term as BJP chief as it would weaken party`s position on the issue of the fight against corruption.
He was suspended by the party in November last on grounds of indiscipline.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - Huge fire breaks out at petrol pump in Kota, Rajasthan
- NSG now 'nine times' stronger; receives technological strength from 12 countries!
- Bihar: Congress leader Brajesh Pandey accused of running sex racket
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- Acrimonious remarks of political leaders during UP elections
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- 7th Pay Commission: Allowances committee raises HRA to 30%?
- Virat Kohli thanks sprint legend Usain Bolt for congratulating him on 'record' Puma deal
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- IPL 2017 Auction: Reaction-filled Twitter erupts with emotions!