Jethmalani praises Krishna on Pillai issue
New Delhi: Eyebrows went up in the Rajya Sabha on Thursday when newly-elected BJP member Ram Jethmalani praised External Affairs Minister SM Krishna for showing
"dignity" in the face of critical remarks of his Pakistani counterpart Shah Mahmood Qureshi about Home Secretart GK Pillai at a joint press conference last month.
Jethmalani`s praise came close on the heels of an attack by his party colleague M Venkaiah, who accused him of not defending Pillai when Qureshi compared him to Lashkar-e Toiba chief Hafiz Saeed at their press conference in Islamabad on
"He (Qureshi) criticised Home Secretary but you kept quiet. After coming back (to India) you addressed a press conference. When Pakistan Foreign Minister criticised our Home
Secretary and equated him with a terrorist (Saeed), you did not respond. A wrong message has gone," Naidu told Krishna while raising supplementaries during the question hour.
The BJP leader was reflecting the party`s position which it has been articulating ever since the July 15 press conference accusing him of not putting forth India`s point
of view on the spot.
Jethamalani, who got up to put his supplementary, surprised both his colleagues and those on the other side when he lavished praise on Krishna.
Krishna maintained "dignity" and his "demeanour is played the cultural superiority of India", Jethmalani said and then proceeded to put his question.
The words of the veteran parliamentarian, who returned to BJP only recently to get elected to Rajya Sabha, were lapped up by members of the treasury benches, including Minister Jairam Ramesh, who were seen happily thumping the desks.
BJP members, including the Leader of the Opposition Arun Jaitley, were visibly uncomfortable at one of their MPs praising Krishna`s handling of the situation.
In his response, Krishna said it was "ridiculous" to compare Pillai with a "terrorist like Hafiz Saeed" but he "did not want to get into slanging match (with Qureshi). So there
was no point talking on the same lines. And I treat it with contempt that it deserves."
He said "the comparisons were being made by a respectable foreign minister of a friendly country like Pakistan."
"The Home Secretary is one of the most distinguished and responsible civil servants. I have the highest respect for him. But I still feel that the timing of the statement..."as per my sources there was some mishap between a newspaper and the Home Secretary. However, whatever David Headley (LeT operative) told FBI, matches what Home Secretary had said," the minister told the House.
Later, speaking to reporters outside Parliament, Jethmalani defended his praise of Krishna.
"I am what I am," he said when pointed out that he had taken a position contrary to that of his party.
He repeated that Krishna had established "cultural superiority" of India by not objecting to Qureshi`s remarks at their joint press meet.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- More than 9 lakh people participated in the oath-taking ceremony of Donald Trump
- DNA: Analyzing the harmful effects of selfies
- Report of a taxi driver who lends helping hand to patients in Mumbai
- 7th Pay Commission: Central govt employees expect Committee on Allowances report in February
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling
- Yuvraj Singh's wife Hazel Keech suggests new middle name for hubby Yuvi following Cuttack heroics
- India vs England, 3rd ODI: MS Dhoni felicitated at Eden Gardens — VIDEOS INSIDE
- Bigots at it again! Mohammed Shami called un-Islamic for posting picture with dog