Jethmalani to make up his mind by weekend
New Delhi: Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) MP Ram Jethmalani on Tuesday said he will "take a final call" on contesting the presidential election by the weekend.
Jethmalani also said that former president A P J Abdul Kalam should again be persuaded to take on Finance Minister and UPA nominee Pranab Mukherjee.
He said he will return to New Delhi by this weekend and that is when he will "take a final call" on his earlier announcement to contest next month`s presidential election.
Jethmalani said he wanted to contest against Mukherjee because the latter had refused to name the Indians who have stashed away black money abroad.
"I oppose Pranab as he refused to reveal the names of those with black money in foreign banks," Jethmalani said.
"I`m in London now. As soon as I return, I will decide."
Mukherjee was on Friday named the United Progressive Alliance candidate for the presidential election.
Asked if he had the BJP`s support, Jethmalani replied in the affirmative.
"But even if nobody supports me, I have no issues."
Commenting about Abdul Kalam`s pullout from the presidential race, he said: "We can`t force him to contest but still we should persuade him to reconsider."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Congress workers blow up pigeons by blasting them inside rockets
- Indian Army 5th deadliest in the world: Report
- Beef row: Lalu Prasad Yadav contradicts his statements
- Lalu Yadav's son Tejasvi Yadav wants to change the face of Bihar education
- Indrani Mukerjea attains consciousness; is now out of danger
- Is Salman Khan - Aamir Khan friendship over?
- Modi must be punished, he has cheated people: Ram Jethmalani
- Parrikar hits out at Nawaz Sharif, says India doesn't need advice about troops in Siachen
- Prefer to ignore what Nawaz Sharif said at UN, says Manohar Parrikar
- Congressmen tie pigeon inside rocket to welcome their leader – A must watch for Rahul Gandhi