Jethmalani to make up his mind by weekend
New Delhi: Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) MP Ram Jethmalani on Tuesday said he will "take a final call" on contesting the presidential election by the weekend.
Jethmalani also said that former president A P J Abdul Kalam should again be persuaded to take on Finance Minister and UPA nominee Pranab Mukherjee.
He said he will return to New Delhi by this weekend and that is when he will "take a final call" on his earlier announcement to contest next month`s presidential election.
Jethmalani said he wanted to contest against Mukherjee because the latter had refused to name the Indians who have stashed away black money abroad.
"I oppose Pranab as he refused to reveal the names of those with black money in foreign banks," Jethmalani said.
"I`m in London now. As soon as I return, I will decide."
Mukherjee was on Friday named the United Progressive Alliance candidate for the presidential election.
Asked if he had the BJP`s support, Jethmalani replied in the affirmative.
"But even if nobody supports me, I have no issues."
Commenting about Abdul Kalam`s pullout from the presidential race, he said: "We can`t force him to contest but still we should persuade him to reconsider."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- What Muslims think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad barred from flying after his assault on AI staffer
- Martyrs' Day: Nation remembers Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev and Rajguru for their sacrifice
- London terrorist attack leaves five dead, including police officer
- Do not put unnecessary pressure on police: PM Modi tells UP BJP MPs
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Unable to meet educational expenses, Muslim girl writes to PM Narendra Modi – Know what happened next
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Mulayam Singh Yadav's son Prateek, his daughter-in-law Aparna meet UP CM Yogi Adityanath - Know why