Jhansi chimney collapse: Six engineers suspended
Lucknow: Six engineers have been suspended for negligence after a chimney collapsed at a power plant in Uttar Pradesh`s Jhansi district killing two workers and injuring at least, an official said Saturday.
The engineers work for Rajya Vidyut Utpandan Nigam (the Uttar Pradesh power generation corporation).
"Those suspended are two superintendent engineers, two assistant engineers, an executive engineer and a junior engineer," corporation`s chairman and managing director Alok Tandon said.
"The engineers, who were entrusted with the task of carrying out regular inspections during the construction process, have been suspended for slackness in their work," he said.
Two labourers were killed and six injured, two of them seriously, when the 210-metre chimney at the 500 MW thermal power station in Jhansi collapsed April 24.
The Uttar Pradesh Power Corporation Ltd (UPPCL) had registered a first information report (FIR) against a state-run agency in connection with the collapse of the chimney.
"For negligence and use of sub-standard material in construction of the chimney, we have registered an FIR against National Building Construction Corporation (NBCC), the agency that was engaged in setting up the chimney," UPPCL chairman Navneet Sehgal had said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: APJ Abdul Kalam's last journey, India bids a tearful adieu
- DNA : Justice delivered; India hangs 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon
- Robert Vadra explains Facebook post, denies insulting Parliament
- Shashi Tharoor condems Yakub Memon's hanging
- Exclusive interview with Usman Majid, MLA, J&K Congress
- Yakub Memon: The two men who lead police to 'House of Memons'
- Why did you choose Smriti Irani as HRD minister? Congress leader asks PM Narendra Modi
- Meeting called by Speaker fails to end Parliament logjam; government indicates all-party meet
- Rajnath slams UPA for coining 'Hindu terrorists', Congress accuses BJP of playing politics on terror
- Cristiano Ronaldo great, but Lionel Messi is greatest: Xavi Hernandez