Jharkhand events a loss of face for Gadkari
New Delhi: BJP`s withdrawal of support to
Shibu Soren government in Jharkhand Monday after a month-long
unsuccessful effort to head the coalition government there is
seen as a loss of face for new party chief Nitin Gadkari in
his first test after taking charge.
"The party decided that enough is enough," senior
party leader Arun Jaitley said after deputy Chief Minister and
BJP leader Raghuvar Das today met Jharkhand Governor and
submitted a letter withdrawing support to the JMM government.
BJP`s Parliamentary Board had taken the decision to
withdraw the support a month ago following Chief Minister
Shibu Soren voting against opposition`s cut motions.
But after it was put on hold, Gadkari himself led the
discussions with the Jharkhand Mukti Morcha in a hope of
seeing the party lead a government there.
It was Gadkari`s decision to support Shibu Soren as
Chief Minister soon after the state elections threw up a hung
Assembly in December 2009.
JMM had been dilly-dallying on a daily basis since
April 28 on extending support to a BJP-led government. But the
events are also likely to raise questions on BJP`s argument
that it wanted to form a government in Jharkhand to keep
Congress at bay.
"BJP tried its very best to effectively lead a
non-Congress combination in Jharkhand. But when we realised
this was not working, the party decided that enough is
enough," Jaitley said.
The Parliamentary Board`s decision to withdraw support
to Soren government was near unanimous with senior leaders L K
Advani, Leader of Opposition in Lok Sabha and Rajya Sabha
Sushma Swaraj and Arun Jaitley respectively, and M M Joshi
being categorical that BJP should withdraw support.
However, Gadkari was convinced by a section of the party
top brass that there was still a possibility of government
formation and the Board`s decision was put on hold, party
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - Huge fire breaks out at petrol pump in Kota, Rajasthan
- NSG now 'nine times' stronger; receives technological strength from 12 countries!
- Bihar: Congress leader Brajesh Pandey accused of running sex racket
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- Acrimonious remarks of political leaders during UP elections
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- Virat Kohli thanks sprint legend Usain Bolt for congratulating him on 'record' Puma deal
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- IPL 2017 Auction: Reaction-filled Twitter erupts with emotions!
- Reliance Jio Prime Membership at Rs 99: All you need to know about the plan