Jilted lover betrayed Bitti Mohanty?
Thiruvananthapuram: Former Odisha DGP BB Mohanty’s son Bitti Mohanty, who was convicted for raping a German woman, managed to evade law for six years before he was finally nabbed by the Kerala police due to his sheer bad luck.
It was reported on Tuesday that his arrest by Kerala police was the result of an anonymous letter sent to the bank where he was employed for past nine months detailing his real identity.
After investigation it was revealed that the letter was written by a woman colleague of Bitti, who was also his lover.
Till his arrest, Bitti was working with the State Bank of Travancore as a probationary officer ‘Raghav Rajan.’
After receiving the handwritten letter, the bank lodged a complaint about him at the local police, which finally nailed him for alleged for alleged impersonation and forgery.
Though Bitti initially insisted that he is ‘Raghav Rajan’ but authorities were not convinced as the personal details he had given did not match up.
"Bitti had been working with the bank for seven months and claimed o hold an MBA degree from Kannur University," a police official was quoted as saying.
Convinced that Bitti had created a fake identity to hoodwink police and evade law, he was then arrested from Kannur in Kerala.
Rajasthan police also later confirmed that the man arrested in Kerala is the elusive rapist Bitti Mohanty, who jumped parole in 2006 after his arrest the same year for raping a German woman in Alwar.
He will now be taken to Rajasthan for investigations on how he managed to get certificates and documents in the fake identity of "Raghava Raj" from Andhra Pradesh.
The Rajasthan police had earlier set up three separate teams to travel to Rajasthan, Andhra Pradesh and Odisha. “Bitty will be first taken to Rajasthan where he jumped parole in 2006. If need be, he will be taken to the other two states," said a senior police official, who did not wish to be identified.
Bitti is the son of BB Mohanty, a former director general of police in Odisha. He was sentenced to seven years of imprisonment in 2006 for raping a 26-year-old German woman in Alwar. He jumped parole the same year and had been on the run ever since.
He had secured the bank job using the name Raghav Raj and had documents that showed he hails from Andhra Pradesh.
Police said that Bitti has been identified, but his identity should be proven scientifically in the court, and for that Bitti and his father are likely to undergo a DNA test.
BB Mohanty was accused of aiding his son`s escape and was suspended but later reinstated. He retired in 2012.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- India successfully test launches first ever indigenous space shuttle
- PM Modi to meet top Iranian leaders today
- Pakistan denounces US drone strike on Taliban chief Mullah Mansoor
- BJP's Roopa Ganguly attacked by Trinamool workers near Kolkata
- PM Modi in Tehran: India, Iran sign historic pact on Chabahar port
- Sensex bounces 217 points; Nifty regains 7,800-mark
- Nothing wrong in chanting 'Om'; opposition to Yoga uncalled for: Salma Ansari
- Islamic State urges Ramadan attacks in US, Europe in new audio broadcast
- Meet the graduates! Aryan Khan and Navya Naveli Nanda celebrate freedom like stars—View pics
- Watch: 'Smart' walking stick that can help Parkinson's sufferers regain rhythm!