Jinnah bungalow case final hearing on Sept 23
Mumbai: The Bombay High Court today
admitted a petition filed by Mohammad Ali Jinnah`s Dina Wadia,
staking claim to a bungalow located in south Mumbai but
refused to give her any interim relief.
A division bench headed by Justice D K Deshmukh
scheduled the case for final hearing on September 23.
The court also allowed the Union government, which
currently is in possession of the house, to carry out repairs
and renovation, after intimating Wadia about the work.
The court refused to give any interim relief to the
petitioner, said government pleader D Nalavade.
Wadia had moved the high court last year, staking a
claim on the bungalow saying she was the sole heir of
But the Centre`s stand is that Jinnah had given the
bungalow to his sister Fatima by a 1939 will, and since Fatima
migrated to Pakistan after Independence, the Indian government
acquired it under Bombay Evacuee`s Property Act 1949 by
issuing a notification.
Fatima`s nephew Mohammad Ibrahim too has intervened
in the case, opposing Wadia`s claim.
Meanwhile, the court today dismissed a fresh
intervention application, filed by advocate Feroze Ansari,
claiming to represent Indian citizens` interest.
The hearing of the case was partially over before
division bench of the then chief Justice Swatanter Kumar, but
as Justice Kumar was elevated to Supreme Court, fresh hearing
would not begin.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Barack Obama thanks Americans for making him a 'better man'
- Is there no respect for Congress in UP politics?
- Accused of Muslim-bias on visa applications, Sushma Swaraj hits back
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened
- Yuvraj Singh's wife Hazel Keech suggests new middle name for hubby Yuvi following Cuttack heroics
- Virat Kohli vs Sachin Tendulkar: Who is a better cricketer? Read what Virender Sehwag has to say