JKLF chief in preventive custody
Srinagar: Police today detained JKLF Chairman
Mohammad Yaseen Malik to prevent him from addressing a public
meeting in Kupwara district of North Kashmir, triggering
protests from his supporters.
Malik was taken into preventive custody at Chogul, 75 kms
from here, along with five activists, when he was on the way
to Handwara town of the frontier district, official sources
As the news about his detention spread, JKLF activists
led by vice-chairman Bashir Ahmad Bhat tried to stage a
demonstration in the town. Police used batons and took Bhat
and 12 other senior leaders also into preventive custody.
Sources said they were detained as a "precautionary
measure" to maintain law and order in the town.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Nitish suspends Cabinet Minister Kushwaha over alleged sting operation
- Each passing year is a reward for me, says Amitabh Bachchan on his 73rd birthday
- Watch: PM Modi delivers speech at Mumbai Metro Phase-II inauguration
- Shiv Sena spills ink on ORF chairperson Sudheendra Kulkarni's face
- Panel discussion on the controversial sacking of Asim Ahmed Khan from AAP
- ISL 2015: Atletico de Kolkata vs Kerala Blasters - Preview
- India planning to buy Russian S-400 Triumf air defence missile systems: Report
- How Twitteratis reacted to PM Modi calling Prakash Singh Badal 'Nelson Mandela'
- Watch: How smartly this woman steals smartphone, walks away with it
- India vs South Africa: MS Dhoni disappointed about 'gamble' not paying off