JL Nehru Award to German Chancellor Angela Merkel
New Delhi: German Chancellor Angela Merkel
has been honoured with Jawaharlal Nehru Award for
International Understanding for her enormous efforts for
sustainable and equitable development.
The jury, chaired by Vice-President Mohammad Hamid Ansari
has decided to confer the award for 2009 on Dr Merkel, the
Chancellor of the Federal Republic of Germany, an External
Affairs Ministry release said here on Monday.
"By honouring Chancellor Merkel the Award for the year
2009, India recognizes her personal devotion and enormous
efforts for sustainable and equitable development, for good
governance and understanding and for the creation of a world
better positioned to handle the emerging challenges of the
21st century," it said.
She has been sympathetic to developing countries and our
own developmental imperatives and has led the search for a
balanced solution based on principles of equity and
sensitivity to the interests of the developing world, it said.
The Award carries prize money of Rs 1 crore besides a
trophy and citation.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on BJP MLAs assaulting legislator Rashid inside J&K Assembly
- Watch: How Russian special forces Spetsnaz will end terror of ISIS
- Vladimir Putin's attack on ISIS making America and NATO nations uneasy?
- Two J&K MLAs clash over beef party issue in Legislative Assembly
- Watch: Man beheads wife; roams on streets with severed head in Pune
- Latest condition of Navjot Singh Sidhu: Sherry Paaji making steady recovery!
- FIR against Asaduddin Owaisi for posting objectionable picture of Yogi Adityanath on Facebook
- Man beheads wife over suspicion of illicit relationship, walks on road with her head
- Shocking! Saudi employer chops off Indian maid's hands
- Salman Khan's songs: Best five!