Jnanesweri train mishap due to sabotage: Inquiry
New Delhi: A railway inquiry has blamed "sabotage" for the Jnaneswari Express accident on May 28 in West Bengal which claimed 150 lives.
The preliminary inquiry conducted by the Commissioner Railway Safety S Nayak into the train mishap has said that the accident had occurred "due to tampering of track including removal of elastic rail clips and disturbance of cross level.
"The cause of the accident is attributed to and certified as sabotage," said the inquiry report submitted to Railway Ministry.
The Howrah-Mumbai Jnaneswari Express derailed and hit a goods train coming from the opposite direction between Khemsuli and Sardiha station in Kharagpur division during
early hours in May killing 150 people.
While 46 passengers were severely wounded, 111 received minor injuries in the accident.
In the report, Nayak said, "Having carefully considered all the evidence tendered, records produced, observations, site inspection and circumstantial evidence, I have come to
the conclusion that derailment of Jnaneswari Express followed by collision with a goods train coming from opposite direction on May 25 was caused due to tampering of track including removal of elastic clips and disturbance of cross level."
After the accident, railways have stopped running passengers trains between 10 PM to 5 AM in Kharagpur-Tata section.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi visits Lord Jagannath temple at Puri
- Boyfriend murders DU student Arzu Singh; hides body in his house for three days
- International Fleet Review: India shows off naval prowess in "Operation Demo"
- Can comments on social media against politicians land you in jail?
- Declared unfit for employment, man invents cost-effective electric car called Pixie!
- India brought Afghanistan athletes in chartered flight: Pakistan envoy impressed with SAG 2016
- PM Narendra Modi never disappoints his supporters, here's another example - see pic
- WATCH: When PM Modi took his supporters by surprise, came to meet them standing on car's side foot step
- Year of the Monkey: Know how lucky you are according to Chinese calendar!
- India vs Sri Lanka 2016, 1st T20I: Squads, date, time, TV listing, live streaming