JNU MMS scandal accused arrested
New Delhi: Over two months after the police complaint was filed in the sensational Jawaharlal Nehru University (JNU) MMS case, where an obscene clip was circulated in the institution, an accused has been arrested from Bihar, police said on Saturday.
"We had sent a team to Bihar to arrest 23-year-old Janardhan Kumar, one of the accused in the case, who was also involved in making an obscene clip of a girl and circulating it in the university," a senior police official told reporters.
"We were in touch with our counterparts there (Bihar) and on Saturday he was arrested," the official added.
During interrogation, Kumar said he came to Delhi in 2008 and got admission in BA in Korean language in JNU.
Another senior police officer said: "He was earlier known to the girl. In 2009, she also got admission in JNU and got the same hostel. They developed an intimate relationship, and also had physical relations which was videographed by Kumar. This was done in the room of a student named Rahul. The videography was converted into a video file with the help of a friend Balbir Chand and the same was taken on CD and circulated."
After an enquiry by JNU authorities, Kumar was expelled from the campus.
"Thereafter, he went to Nawada in Bihar and opened a coaching centre," said the officer.
According to police, security guards of the university informed the authorities on January 31 that a video recording showing two students in a compromising position in a hostel room was doing the rounds.
The university conducted an inquiry into the matter and handed over the report to police in the third week of February.
Following this, police lodged a complaint against Kumar and Balbir and recorded the statement of 12 witnesses.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- BJP likely to form next govt in Bihar: Mulayam Singh
- Haryana minister Krishan Bedi mocks Modi's 'Swachh Bharat Abhiyan'
- Shiv Sena spills ink on ORF chairperson Sudheendra Kulkarni's face
- Bihar Polls: Lalu Yadav's controversial tweet against Karpoori Thakur and PM Modi
- Hafiz Saeed teaching terrorism to children in Pakistan
- ISL 2015: Atletico de Kolkata vs Kerala Blasters - Preview
- Aarushi Talwar's grandfather breaks silence, writes open letter – Read
- 2015 Bihar Assembly Elections: 57% voting in first phase, women voters outnumber men
- Five ways to get pregnant fast!
- After Azhar, Harbhajan Singh visits Navjot Singh Sidhu in hospital!