Johri requests for more time to appear before CBI
Ahmedabad: Geetha Johri, a former
investigation officer in the 2005 Sohrabuddin Sheikh fake
encounter case, today sought more time from CBI in appearing
before the agency in connection with the case.
Johri who resumed today work as Police Commissioner of
Rajkot city after a long leave, made the request to CBI to
grant her more time, officials said.
CBI had asked her to appear before it on August 10.
In her request, Johri said that since she has joined
after a break, she needs to get appraised about the case,
before answering CBI questions, they said.
She has also said that since the state level
Independence Day function is being held in Rajkot, she needs
to give priority to the event, and hence she be given more
According to CBI officials, her questioning is likely
to take place after August 15.
CBI has already questioned Johri twice before, after
it began investigation into the fake encounter case following
the Supreme court order in January.
Incidentally, former state DGP P C Pande who was also
summoned by CBI in the same case would also not be able to
appear before the agency as he was out of station, CBI sources
Pande is likely to appear after August 18 on his
The probe agency had arrested former Gujarat minister
of state for home Amit Shah in the Sohrabuddin case. Shah is
now lodged in Sabarmati Central jail here along with 15
accused police officials.
Pande was DGP when the state CID was investigating the
fake encounter case. There have been allegations that some
police officials of Gujarat had tried to influence the
investigation in the incident.
The apex court, while transferring the case to CBI had
minced no words in expressing displeasure at the failure of
Gujarat Police`s special investigation team headed by IGP
The Supreme Court had also come down heavily on
Gujarat Police for failing to conduct impartial investigations
and attempting to "mislead" the apex court by filing
conflicting action taken reports in the fake encounter case.
It had said that while one of the investigating
officers V L Solanki was proceeding in the right direction,
Johri had not been carrying out the probe in a right manner.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Discussion over BJP's enormous victory in Maharashtra civic polls
- UP polls: Top 5 highlights of PM Modi's speech in Bahraich
- BMC elections 2017: Who will be the Mayor of Mumbai?
- NASA discovers seven Earth-like planets orbiting a single star
- BMC election results 2017: Shiv Sena ahead as single largest party
- Reliance Jio Vs Airtel free data plan: A comparison
- BMC election 2017 results: As it happened
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results 2017: As it happened on Thursday
- WATCH: When Matthew Renshaw left everybody surprised by 'retiring ill' on Day 1 of India-England Test
- World's heaviest woman loses 50 kilos in just 12 days