Join forces with Left for LS Polls: Karat to AIADMK
Chennai: Hours after meeting Tamil Nadu Chief Minister J Jayalalithaa, CPI(M) general secretary Prakash Karat on Friday appealed to AIADMK to join Left parties to create a "new secular democratic political alternative" sans Congress and BJP.
Stating that Congress and BJP together could only secure 48 percent of the votes in 2009 Lok Sabha polls, Karat said 52 percent of the people did not support either of these parties.
"We have to see that we rally all secular, anti-Congress and BJP parties and forces so that we can present a credible, effective platform of alternative policies", Karat said at a public meeting here.
Parties like AIADMK had taken just the same position as that of the Left on many policy issues such as foreign capital into banking sector, FDI in retail, and Food Security Bill in Parliament, Karat pointed out.
"We want those forces and parties who can come together to fight for alternative policies so that the struggle and movements of different sections of working people can be provided the right direction and a new secular and democratic alternative could be provided in the country," he said, adding, this was the message Left parties were taking to the people across the country.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Did history fail to serve justice to Dr Shyama Prasad Mukherjee?
- Did history fail to serve justice to Dr Shyama Prasad Mukherjee? - Part II
- Did history fail to serve justice to Dr Shyama Prasad Mukherjee? - Part III
- Did history fail to serve justice to Dr Shyama Prasad Mukherjee? - Part IV
- Are central govt employees justified in demanding salary hike?
- Euro 2016: Despite another failure, Spain reluctant to change 'tiki-taka' style of play
- 'We're ready to execute our plans' - Chilling details emerge as NIA busts 'ISIS' terror module
- Animals owe their social sense to their maternal side!
- Neymar, Douglas Costa named in Brazil's Olympic squad
- Germany desperate to rewrite history against Italy in Euro 2016 quarter-final