Joshi demands debate on religious minority
Lucknow: Questioning the government`s move
to provide Muslim reservation, BJP leader Murali Manohar Joshi
today said there should be a fresh debate on the definition of
"They (the government) are giving 4.5 per cent to Muslims
from existing OBC quota...what`s the point in it?" he asked.
"A debate is needed that who are minorities because in
a secular democracy there is no meaning of religious
minorities," Joshi said.
He said there are two important questions -- first, who
could be religious minorities in a secular democracy and
secondly, what is the religion of the state.
"Linguistic minority is understandable but what is the
religion of the country and who are considered as majority?"
the former HRD minister asked.
Joshi said when a group of people settle in a state,
having its own religion, from some other place due to
political reason or persecution, then they are religious
minorities but a large number of minorities in India were
those who converted to other religions.
He said the 4.5 per cent reservation for Muslims will
benefit only the creamy layers among the community as backward
among Muslims have been already covered under reservation.
The Mandal commission has designated a section of castes
as backward and many of them have large number of Muslim
population, he said.
"Castes like Bunkar and Kasai are already covered under
reservation. This section was created on education and social
basis...as backward among Muslims were already covered under
reservation, the additional quota would only benefit the
creamy layers among the community," Joshi said.
The BJP leader said religion-based reservation is against
the Constitution and the Congress has done it with an eye on
Uttar Pradesh polls.
The move would lead to tension among backwards and
Muslims and it is dangerous for the country.
"BJP had already opposed it in Parliament and will create
public awareness on the issue," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Exclusive: Chat with 'Jazbaa' stars Aishwarya Rai and Irrfan Khan!
- Delhi government to add environment tax in electricity bill
- AAP govt suggests four-fold hike in MLAs salaries
- DNA: Indian Army's 'Phantom Guns’ to defend border with Pakistan
- Shaheed Express train's freight coach catches fire on Ludhiana railway station
- India vs South Africa 2015: 3rd T20I - Preview
- Modi govt turns down IAF's request for more foreign fighter planes, pushes for Made-in-India Tejas
- Indrani Mukerjea back in jail; claims did not take pills, was upset because of mother's death
- Unbelievable! Crops destroyed for Congress vice president Rahul Gandhi's rally in Karnataka
- Asaduddin Owaisi's brother Akbaruddin in trouble over poll speech, arrest warrant issued