Joshi denies report of trying to influence CAG
Bhubaneswar: Public Accounts Committee
chairman Murli Manohar Joshi today denied reports that he or
the PAC had ever tried to influence the CAG in regard to
calculation of losses on account of spectrum allocations.
The BJP leader said he had tried to find out as to why
foreign investors had gone for big investments in telecom
companies which had neither expertise nor infrastructure.
The companies had informed the PAC that they came to the
telecom sector because they could manage to get spectrum
allocations, Joshi pointed out.
"PAC has not at all influenced anything. We have only
told the irregularities and violations of cabinet decisions
and the conspiracy between certain people and the private
players to denude the country`s exchequer," he said.
The issue is like this, he said,?"there is no question
whether the FDI comes or not... we are not saying anything
about the investments. What we are saying is that the
investments should come in a proper manner. We have checked up
with those who have come with foreign investments and we asked
how have you selected this company for foreign investment?"
The PAC had raised question on how spectrum allocations
were given to companies having no expertise or infrastructure,
Therefore, Joshi said, "Don`t confuse the issues. Heavens
will not fall down if culprits are brought to book."
"The issue is that those who have done the irregularities,
those who have violated the decisions of the cabinet, those
who have given irregular licenses... and Supreme Court has
also taken cognizance of it," he said.
"I have asked the government to calculate the loss and
tell us what is the exact amount?and the?finance ministry says
we are unable to calculate the loss," he said.
"Then who will calculate it?... you (Centre) calculate
the loss and profit of the whole country and are not unable to
calculate the loss of one department in one transaction,"
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Afzal Guru row: JNU Students' Union president Kanhaiya Kumar arrested
- Missing girl from Ghaziabad, Dipti Sarna returns; reunited with family
- DNA: Analysis on actions taken against students protesting at JNU
- DNA: Analysis on actions taken against students protesting at JNU - Part II
- Watch: How students at JNU showcased anti-India spirit! - Part II
- Kumar Vishwas' birthday bash: Ajit Doval, BJP and RSS leaders attend; Arvind Kejriwal missing
- Afzal Guru row: JNU students union president Kanhaiya Kumar arrested by Delhi Police
- Snapdeal employee Dipti Sarna reaches home, police and family remain tight-lipped over her recovery
- Was abducted, blindfolded for four hours; Snapdeal employee Dipti Sarna narrates her ordeal
- Fitoor movie review: Tabu overpowers, Katrina Kaif, Aditya Roy Kapur leave a lasting impact!