Joshi refutes he influenced CAG’s 2G report
New Delhi: Senior BJP leader and PAC chairman Murli Manohar Joshi on Friday hit back at the government and former CAG official RP Singh, who has suggested that the former had influenced the government auditor’s report on 2G spectrum allocation.
Rejecting the allegations as baseless, Joshi said it was government’s bid to defame the CAG.
“It is the last attempt by the government to cover up corruption in which it is steeped in right till its neck,” Joshi told reporters outside Parliament House.
“Why didn`t RP Singh take up this matter while he was in the CAG? After retirement he is making such claims. It is a campaign to malign the CAG and the PAC,” the BJP leader said.
When asked to react to Congress’ demand for a probe in the matter, Joshi angrily said, “What investigation? Congress` demand for a probe is absurd.”
Singh, an ex-officer of the Comptroller and Auditor General of India (CAG), has claimed that he was forced to sign the controversial report on the 2G spectrum allocation.
The Indian Express reported on Friday that Singh, former director general, Post and Telecommunications at CAG, claimed that he was made to sign the controversial report that pegged the 2G scam presumptive loss at a whopping Rs 1.76 lakh crores, even though he had disagreement with the report’s findings.
Singh, who was the officer behind the CAG’s 2G spectrum allocation audit, revealed that officials of the auditor had met Joshi, at his residence on a holiday to assist him in the preparation of the report on the 2G spectrum allocation.
Singh said that CAG officials had paid a visit to Joshi’s house on the Good Friday holiday on April 22, 2011.
“I got to know from my team members that CAG officials including senior CAG officials from headquarters went to the PAC chairman’s residence and assisted him in preparing the PAC report. I cannot say with certainty what exactly transpired at the meeting,” Singh told The Indian Express.
Asked if there was an attempt by the PAC chairman to influence the outcome of the CAG’s 2G report before it was tabled in Parliament, Singh said “it appears” from a note prepared by RB Sinha, D-G at CAG headquarters, that there were “some telephone calls by the PAC chairman to access the 2G report which was under preparation”.
Reacting to the revelations, the Congress accused the BJP of misusing the CAG.
Speaking to reporters, I&B Minister Manish Tewari said both the CAG and PAC chairman should reply to the charges. Issues raised by RP Singh should be probed, Tewari added.
Union Minister Kamal Nath said the claims needed to be probed.
Also, a CPI leader said Joshi owes the nation an explanation.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- Death toll climbs to over 1400 as intense heatwave continues in India