Joshi`s remarks a `ripple`, not a `storm`: Khursheed
New Delhi: Union Minister Salman Khursheed
on Friday said the controversy surrounding Rita Bahuguna Joshi`s
remarks against Mayawati is a "ripple" and "not a storm".
"I am sure this is a ripple and not a storm. We remain
committed to Dalits. It`s wrong to say we have attacked or
undermined Dalits. We had given Dalits very important priority
in our scheme of things. Facts will not be sidelined or
forgotten in the passing emotions like this," he told a news agency.
Asked whether the incident would be affecting Congress
prospects in the state, which had been assiduously trying to
consolidate its base among the Dalits, the core constituency
of the BSP chief Mayawati, Khursheed said, "I hope not."
"People are trying to make an issue out of it. But I do
not think they would be successful in doing it," he said.
"This is a passing phase. When something happens
unpalatable or unpleasant, there is talk about it. Things then
settle down. I am sure in next few days we will be able to put
things in proper perspective. I do not think a stray sentence
or two is going to damage us irreparably," said Khursheed, a
former PCC chief in Uttar Pradesh.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- Acrimonious remarks of political leaders during UP elections
- UP polls: When fans played spoilsport for SP star campaigner Dimple Yadav
- Have political parties diverted from development agenda in UP elections?
- Pakistan cancels licenses of weapons issued to Hafiz Saeed and his aides
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- How Kashmiris use children for 'meri jaan Pakistan' type 'freedom struggle' - WATCH
- Reliance Jio Prime Membership at Rs 99: All you need to know about the plan
- 'Intolerance brigade' attacks Zee News' #FatehKaFatwa host Tarek Fateh - WATCH