JPC members on 2G scam should exercise correct judgement: Nath
New Delhi: As the Opposition prepared to scuttle the JPC report on 2G scam, the government on Thursday expressed confidence that the members will exercise their "correct" judgement irrespective of their party affiliation.
Parliamentary Affairs Minister Kamal Nath`s reaction came when asked about the Opposition parties` move to corner JPC Chairman P C Chacko over clean chit to Prime Minister Manmohan Singh in its report on the 2G scam.
"I am confident that the members will exercise their correct judgement irrespective of their party affiliation," Kamal Nath told reporters outside Parliament House.
Asked whether the members of SP and BSP in JPC would support the report prepared by Chacko, he said, "Well...We will see that in the meeting."
Non-Congress members of the panel have termed as "Congress report" the JPC draft report giving clean chit to the Prime Minister and Finance Minister P Chidambaram.
Opposing the report, 15 members from BJP, JD(U), Trinamool Congress, the Left, AIADMK, DMK and BJD want Chacko`s removal as the panel Chairman. JPC has a total of 30 members.
On BJP leader Yashwant Sinha`s latest letter to the Prime Minister in which he asked Singh to appear before the panel saying his silence will "confirm" his involvement in the 2G scam, Nath said, "Mr Yashwant Sinha can say anything and everything. It must be credible."
The JPC meeting was planned for today but it was postponed following death of Lok Sabha TMC member Ambika Banerjee.
Chacko said that the new date would be announced soon indicating that it would be possible only next week as some members have expressed "inconvenience" if it is held tomorrow.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Helicopter ferrying 6 pilgrims, woman pilot crashes near Katra
- Growing sense of despondency in India from last 6-8 months: Aamir Khan
- 8th Ramnath Goenka Awards: Sudhir Chaudhary awarded for Excellence in Journalism
- Tejashwi Yadav takes charge as Deputy CM of Bihar
- Arvind Kejriwal clarifies his friendly gesture with Lalu Prasad Yadav
- Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh bypoll results: As it happened on November 24
- Lesson for jihadi aspirants? ISIS says Indians not good enough as 6 out of 23 fighters from India are killed
- Aamir Khan feels intolerance growing in India, says his wife suggested moving out of India
- Intolerance issue: When did ‘Incredible India’ become ‘Intolerant India’, Anupam Kher asks Aamir Khan
- Boon for SC/ST candidates? Birth, caste certificates likely to be merged