JPC members on 2G scam should exercise correct judgement: Nath
New Delhi: As the Opposition prepared to scuttle the JPC report on 2G scam, the government on Thursday expressed confidence that the members will exercise their "correct" judgement irrespective of their party affiliation.
Parliamentary Affairs Minister Kamal Nath`s reaction came when asked about the Opposition parties` move to corner JPC Chairman P C Chacko over clean chit to Prime Minister Manmohan Singh in its report on the 2G scam.
"I am confident that the members will exercise their correct judgement irrespective of their party affiliation," Kamal Nath told reporters outside Parliament House.
Asked whether the members of SP and BSP in JPC would support the report prepared by Chacko, he said, "Well...We will see that in the meeting."
Non-Congress members of the panel have termed as "Congress report" the JPC draft report giving clean chit to the Prime Minister and Finance Minister P Chidambaram.
Opposing the report, 15 members from BJP, JD(U), Trinamool Congress, the Left, AIADMK, DMK and BJD want Chacko`s removal as the panel Chairman. JPC has a total of 30 members.
On BJP leader Yashwant Sinha`s latest letter to the Prime Minister in which he asked Singh to appear before the panel saying his silence will "confirm" his involvement in the 2G scam, Nath said, "Mr Yashwant Sinha can say anything and everything. It must be credible."
The JPC meeting was planned for today but it was postponed following death of Lok Sabha TMC member Ambika Banerjee.
Chacko said that the new date would be announced soon indicating that it would be possible only next week as some members have expressed "inconvenience" if it is held tomorrow.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- What Muslims think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad barred from flying after his assault on AI staffer
- Martyrs' Day: Nation remembers Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev and Rajguru for their sacrifice
- Do not put unnecessary pressure on police: PM Modi tells UP BJP MPs
- Air India lodges FIR against Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad for assaulting staffer
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Mulayam Singh Yadav's son Prateek, his daughter-in-law Aparna meet UP CM Yogi Adityanath - Know why
- Yogi Adityanath took THESE 20 big actions in just 75 hours after becoming UP CM
- Should there be strict laws against cow slaughter? Uttar Pradesh CM Yogi Adityanath seeks public opinion