JPC on VVIP chopper deal not advisable: BJP
New Delhi: BJP on Wednesday virtually rejected the government`s proposal for setting up a Joint Parliamentary Committee (JPC) to probe the VVIP helicopter deal, saying the move was aimed at scuttling the probe as current Lok Sabha`s term will end next year.
Senior BJP leader Yashwant Sinha told reporters here that the party favours a serious and thorough probe into the Rs 3,600 crore AgustaWestland helicopter contract and wanted the investigation to be monitored by a court.
BJP is expected to raise the issue in Rajya Sabha today.
Asked about the party`s view on the government`s offer to form a JPC to probe the issue, Sinha said, "I don`t think a JPC is advisable at this point of time because the Lok Sabha term will end in about a year`s time and as we know JPCs take longer. So this is a counsel for scuttling the probe."
BJP has emphasised that a time-bound CBI probe monitored by the Supreme Court is needed on the issue. It has also demanded that the names of the recipients of the alleged kickbacks in the deal should be revealed.
At the BJP Parliamentary Party meeting today morning, the main opposition also decided to flag during the Budget Session the issues of Sethusamudram project and the violence against tribals in Assam.
"We will raise the Ram Setu issue and the violence against tribals of Assam in both Houses of Parliament. BJP will not tolerate any tampering with the Ram Setu (Adam`s bridge). If required, we will go for an agitation on it," BJP Deputy Leader in Lok Sabha Gopinath Munde told reporters.
BJP has demanded that the government should abandon the Sethusamudram project as it would lead to cutting into mythological Ram Setu.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- President's Rule to continue in Uttarakhand, next hearing in SC on May 3
- Panel discussion on AgustaWestland chopper scam and Sonia Gandhi's role
- Panel discussion on AgustaWestland chopper scam and Sonia Gandhi's role - Part II
- Panel discussion on AgustaWestland chopper scam and Sonia Gandhi's role - Part III
- Panel discussion on AgustaWestland chopper scam and Sonia Gandhi's role - Part IV
- From Shahid Kapoor to Tommy Singh: Check out the eye-popping transformation for 'Udta Punjab' – Watch
- Finance Ministry defends lower interest rate on EPF, cites lack of funds
- Rahul Gandhi and Buddhadeb Bhattacharya are doing ILU ILU in WB: Amit Shah
- UP Police computer operator exam 2016: Admit card available at uppbpb.gov.in - Check dates
- Won't be giving any more statements to media: Kangana Ranaut